How to get motivated to exercise?!?!

Options
Hi Everyone

I am new on here (I joined on Sunday) and I am being meliculous on my calorie counting which is good for me, normally I would have a sneaky biscuit (or 5, maybe 10!) and then tell everyone how good I have been and I don't understand why I am not losing weight.

I was looking through some old photos and I was actually shocked when I saw a photo of me about 5 years ago and how slim and attractive I was!!! I genuinly could not believe I ever looked that good!

So now I have gained about 28lls since then and I really want to lose 21llbs but I simply cannot find the motivation to exercise and I know that that is the key to success as I used to run A LOT (probably about 2 hours a day) when I was younger, but then I didnt work 5 days a week, study full time, have bill and other adult responsibilities!

I have a treadmill, EA Sports fitness on the Wii and Zumba on the Wii also but I always find any excuse not to use any of them...

I have seen some fantastic stories on here and wondered if anyone can help get me started and change my way of thinking...I know how I should be thinking, but I just can't seem to put it into action and start losing some weight.

Many Thanks

Fern

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like not working out, I take a good look at my jiggles in the mirror and that gives me the kick in the butt to get to work..lol I always feel better after the workout, so I don't know why I fight it sometimes.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Going for a brisk paced walk burns a lot of calories. It's best if you go with a friend so you have someone to chat to. Failing that, borrow a dog and take it with you.

Exercise machines can be really boring. I have a rowing machine in my room and I've set it up on front of the tv. I only allow myself to watch utter junk like reality shows when I'm rowing. Lately I watched the film Bring it On...
  • Morningstar93
    Options
    Put that picture you found above your treadmill or T.V.. as motivation. you've done it before you can do it again!! :) I wouldn't put pictures of you how you don't like your body (that would be a bit de-motivational) but how you want it to be.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with your busy life, you just need to pick a time and just do it. There is no secret to starting but the secret to continuing is that you get hooked on it. Good luck!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Whenever you're lacking motivation it's time to stop and ask yourself why you're doing this. Why do you want to lose the weight? Why is it important to you? Why now? Write that down. Put it on your mirror, fridge, tv, whatever is getting in the way of accomplishing your goals. What is it you're doing instead of exercising? Put it there. THIS is your motivation.
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the motivation for a long time and made an excuse every time I should have been working out. I finally told myself if it's not today, it's never. So unless there's a real reason (sick children, DR apptmnts, etc.) not to go, I go. It also helps that a lot of my friends at the YMCA look for me at the classes. If you can get a partner to help hold you accountable it's helpful, but make sure it's someone who wants to work.
  • edzigler
    edzigler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Morning ! ......

Excercise is a challange for me as well. I work steady night shift and trust me at times (most of the time) the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is exercise ....

But I have pushed myself to do some form of exercise .... what has worked for me is .. start out slow and small .. don't try and change it all overnight .... slow and steady and then work your way up from there ... and before you know it .. exercisin will be part of your everyday routine !!

Good Luck and remeber yo have freinds and support !!

Eric
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Make a comitment to give it a go for 11 days, just 11 simple days! 5 days on, 1 days rest, 5 days on... truly put the 110% effort in... then after 11 days if you dont feel 1000 times better than feel free to give up! i'll gurantee you'll be surprised at the gains you make!

Thats what personally keeps me driving forward! The changes in me over the last 6months are astounding!

I think a large part of it is finiding the right thing to do that really gets you going without realising, for me thats swimming and strength based DVD's... have a think about what sports or methods would get you moveing, if you only have 30minutes than i can highly recomend the DVD based method... look up Jillian Michaels on youtube (such as 30 day shred and ripped in 30).... give a few a go and see what you think!

Oh and remember to eat back those exersize calories! sounds silly but its definately the right thing to do!
  • fernreynolds
    fernreynolds Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the support and the great ideas!!! I will definately be using these!!!!

I am going to go for a run when I get home tonight (I'm in the UK and its 1:41pm over here!)

x
  • StephanieStroud
    StephanieStroud Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's not easy, that's for sure, I work full time and have a terrific husband and four mostly grown up sons who I like to spend time with, so I'm really good at finding reasons why I "don't have time for exercise". What has really helped me is having a local friend (who introduced me to MFP) that I go to classes and the gym with evenings. Knowing that she is counting on me to be there to support her just as much as she supports me, gets me off the sofa and off to the gym. We're trying to get more of our friends to join us with limited success, but just having someone there with similar goals makes it more fun. When I go to the gym by myself, I feel every minute, but when we're there together chatting the time just flies by and I don't feel it as much.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think a large part of it is finiding the right thing to do that really gets you going without realising, for me thats swimming and strength based DVD's... have a think about what sports or methods would get you moveing, if you only have 30minutes than i can highly recomend the DVD based method... look up Jillian Michaels on youtube (such as 30 day shred and ripped in 30).... give a few a go and see what you think!

I agree with this post about finding the right thing to do.

What has worked for me and turned me into a person who LOVES to work out now and gets EXCITED about it was the 3 things below:

1. Find the exercise that is going to work for you and that you like to do.
    2. Schedule it, if you schedule it like you have to go to work then you will do it.
    3. Don't over do it at first. Schedule 20-30 minutes 3 times a week to start.
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like not working out, I take a good look at my jiggles in the mirror and that gives me the kick in the butt to get to work..lol I always feel better after the workout, so I don't know why I fight it sometimes.

THIS!! ^^ lol the mirror is the best source of motivation for me and I too always feel better after. 30 minutes after I finish I feel like getting up and doing it all again and sometimes I do :P Though not as often as I could ehehe
  • fernreynolds
    fernreynolds Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It is mainly a time issue - I think I am disorganised which does not help things - I think by doing little an often I will get in the swing of things, it is the starting which is always the hardest thing I find!

Tonight I am taking time out to do a 2.3 mile walk which i hope to jog some and walk some. I am getting my other half to drop me somewhere and I will have to make my way back on my own - no excuses for me to use there, there is only one way home and thats by getting moving!!

I have ordered the JMs 30 day shred as i like the idea of the 20-30 minute intense routines, I can definately make time to fit that amount of exercise in!

MFP is a really great tool with access to great tips and people who are already motivating me a lot!

thanks everyone for all your help and support!
  • amburballin
    amburballin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself that I will feel better afterwards than I do right now while taking a look at myself: the reason I am unhappy. I get motivated. It may sound crazy, but certain songs get me pumped to do everything! Good luck! Feel free to add me for motivation!