Running technique advice please.

Options
I have this week completed the C25K programme (Yay!) but today I was stopped on my run by a gentleman who told me that I should be lifting my knees more to improve.

This has made me think that I actually have no idea HOW I should be running. I have just been going and and trudging through the time until my app tells me to turn around.

Please can you give me any advice about how I should be running to have good form, to improve my speed and distance, and to avoid injuries.

It has taken me all year to get to completing the 5k and now feel the time is right to start thinking more about my form and improving on where I am.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Is it working for you? Are you running injury free?

If the answer to both of these question is "yes", then I wouldn't mess with it too much.

The only things I would really consider are counting steps to see where your turnover is. Optimum seems to be about 160 to 180 steps per minute. If you are in that range, that you are probably running with pretty good form. If that's the case, google "running form drills" and start to incorporate this into your routine. Don't make a conscious effort to change the way you run. Let the form drills teach your body and the movements will translate over to your regular runs.
  • Andaw
    Andaw Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Optimum seems to be about 160 to 180 steps per minute. If you are in that range, that you are probably running with pretty good form.

Is that for women too? I've got pretty short legs :laugh: !!! Thanks.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Optimum seems to be about 160 to 180 steps per minute. If you are in that range, that you are probably running with pretty good form.

Is that for women too? I've got pretty short legs :laugh: !!! Thanks.

Short, tall, man, woman. Doesn't matter. It's the same.
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you feel ok and dont get injuries, I wouldnt change a thing. You wouldnt want to get an injury by doing something different.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Is it working for you? Are you running injury free?

If the answer to both of these question is "yes", then I wouldn't mess with it too much.

The only things I would really consider are counting steps to see where your turnover is. Optimum seems to be about 160 to 180 steps per minute. If you are in that range, that you are probably running with pretty good form. If that's the case, google "running form drills" and start to incorporate this into your routine. Don't make a conscious effort to change the way you run. Let the form drills teach your body and the movements will translate over to your regular runs.

I completely agree with this! Happy running!
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

This video has helped me immensely. Note that even though the guy in the video is running with barefoot, the same princples apply when wearing shoes.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    time to start 5 to 10K :)

http://www.kissmyblackas*.org/podcasts/

replace the * with an s - her voice is bit annoying but it is a good program.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    bump
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have this week completed the C25K programme (Yay!) but today I was stopped on my run by a gentleman who told me that I should be lifting my knees more to improve.

This has made me think that I actually have no idea HOW I should be running. I have just been going and and trudging through the time until my app tells me to turn around.

Please can you give me any advice about how I should be running to have good form, to improve my speed and distance, and to avoid injuries.

It has taken me all year to get to completing the 5k and now feel the time is right to start thinking more about my form and improving on where I am.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

As an above poster said, if it is working for you keep going... did you watch the olympic marathons? The women's race had one runner that looked to be running with crazy legs (in my opinion), but you know... she made it to the olympics and she was amazing!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Congrats on completing C25K!!

I stay with injuries and someone told me to go to a store that specializes in running supplies to get my running gait analyzed and recommendations on shoes for my foot & gait type.

Even if you don't have any injuries now, it may be something you want to do just to check it out so that as you continue running injury free as you progress toward 10 K!
  • JPKemp
    JPKemp Posts: 25
    Options
    BUMP...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I look stupid when I run, because I hardly lift my feet. Everyday, I'm shufflin'. :tongue:

At a recent race, there was a woman with legs that came up to my chin, who looked like a gazelle when she ran. Long, beautiful graceful strides.

I finished several minutes ahead of her. I was shocked as hell to see her cross the finish line long after me, because she sure looked a lot more like what a runner should look like.

I'm not saying my way is right or her way is wrong... just do what's best for you. If you're picking up your feet high enough to not trip over any irregularities in the surface, you're doing fine.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I started running in high school for the cross country team. When I started i was getting shin splits... then I read about landing on your toes instead of slamming your heel down. a combination of more toe striking on landing, longer stride, and actively thinking about pulling myself forward (not just pushing with the behind leg) made me much, much faster, and able to run longer...
    since then, I have never had shin pain from running.

so yes, theres possibly something to be gained from changing how you run.. but if its required for you personally, i have no idea.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I too am a shuffler I know this because I scuff my feet on the pavement all the time if there are irregularities in the surface, so i probably dont lift my knees enough either. However when i watched the video footing when I had my gait analysis done it looked Ok and apart from sore legs thankfully not had an injury yet. At races you see all kinds of running styles and they are good runners a lot of them. Keep doing what works it will naturally improve as you get fitter/better. Well done on completing C25K.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm a very flat runner (shuffler if you will) but that is what works for me. everyone has a different comfortable gait. You can surely do some drills to improve form but just trying to lift your knees more, etc will probably not end well.