Too much protein?

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
Sorry if I reposted this I don't remember if I did or not...

But is too much protein bad? I consistently go over my protein that MFP says I should eat? Does anyone else do this? Is it bad?

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    it;s fine, MFP protein recommendations are at the very minimum anyway.
  • Fuzzy62bear
    Fuzzy62bear Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I thought that too much protein in the body, if not used, convert to fat? Is this not true?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    if its only above what MFP recommends, no, not at all. They have it way low. I try to eat a gram per lean body fat a day. That's well over what MFP would suggest.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I thought that too much protein in the body, if not used, convert to fat? Is this not true?

depends on how much "too much" you are referring to, but generally speaking, no. Most people are not going to eat enough protein to get to that point. At one point, I was up to 180 grams of protein (per trainer/nutritionist) and it helped me bulk and gain muscle while lifting. It definitely did not turn into fat.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    if its only above what MFP recommends, no, not at all. They have it way low. I try to eat a gram per lean body fat a day. That's well over what MFP would suggest.

This^^

You want to preserve as much muscle mass as possible when losing weight. Some loss is inevitable, but you can minimize it!