other runners- top of my foot and ankel hurt -help!

Options
Other runners, I have a question , the top of my foot hurts & my ankle hurts and both parts swell after my run and I can barley walk- I looked this up online and it doesn't look good I have been trying to do low impact workouts to remedy this problem. I ran yesterday for the 1st time in a month because it was feeling great and then boom, swelling in top of the foot and ankle and could barley walk all day. What are your thoughts on this?
I did ice it and wrap it and elevate it last night and it's a little better..the top of the foot still hurts and the ankle hurts when I walk...please any input would be helpful

Replies

• Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    nobody ????? :sad:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to go running to the doctor, but if you took a month off and one run caused the symptoms to come back that quickly and that severely, I'd go get it checked out.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Bump because I have the same problem. I've never been a runner and I went and tried jogging on a trail, since then the top of my foot has been hurting. My ankle is fine however. So I want to see what others have to say.
  • beckylynn528
    Options
    Were you fitted for proper running shoes by actual educated help? I never buy shoes from giant chain stores. I go to the local running center to get fitted and buy last years model of shoes so they are cheaper.

Also, I've been running for years and developed arthritis in both of my feet causing severe pain on the tops of my feet and after I run half marathons my feet do swell.

Just because I have the arthritis I haven't stopped running. You should go to the doctor or see a podiatrist just to make sure it's nothing like a stress fracture.

I have medication to help with the swelling and the pain if it gets too bad. But I am willing to live with the pain the rest of my life as long as I get to continue to run and do half marathons!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you took a month off and it felt fine until you ran, my first piece of advice is to go to your doctor.
    That being said, you can also try to stretch your foot and Achilles tendon and ankle by getting a golf ball and standing on it and rolling it around. Kind of does the same thing as foam rolling to your foot. Also, try ice and heat, and of course, wrapping it. Maybe some new insoles for your running shoes?????
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Just going off of your title, I was going to say maybe your shoes are tied too tight or are not the correct support.

However, after reading your post, I think you should go to a doctor. If it's swelling, there is probably something really wrong and I would definitely say not to run until you get it checked out so there isn't anymore damage.

If you don't want to go to the doctor, then you probably need to take a break for a few weeks and see if the symptoms go away. Then maybe test it and see what happens. I was able to still loose just by staying within my calories when I needed a break so it is doable.

But the decision has to be up to you with what you think is best. But, you should definitely take a break for a little bit!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'd go to a sports doctor or GP now - immediately - do not wait for the swelling to go down it will actually help them identify the issue.
    Possibly as simple as tossing out your shoes but sounds like an real injury.
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to go running to the doctor, but if you took a month off and one run caused the symptoms to come back that quickly and that severely, I'd go get it checked out.

:"running to the doctor"-- hilarious

Don't go to your GP unless your insurance is amazing, they'll charge you for the visit and then send you somewhere else. I'd look up a sports therapy place with a physical therapist on staff. They'll have a way better chance of helping you, and often give huge discounts if you're paying cash. You just have to mention it.

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/injury-prevention/injuries/re-top-of-foot-pain

That looks like what you're feeling. That thread has what their doctors said as well. Good Luck!
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options
    I'd go to the doctor to be honest. I'm a regular runner and put in a lot of milage, and a few aches and pains are fairly standard, but if after a month off it comes back like that it's probably not something completely minor. If it's localised pain however, chances are it's just muscular, but if you press on bones outside of the tender area and it still hurts it could potentially be a stress fracture. I tore a muscle in my shin a few weeks ago and ended up in minor injuries with it because I pushed it too far. It's always worth getting checked out properly, and if I hadn't gone when I did it probably would have ended up much much worse. Pain is your body's way of telling you to stop, so listen to it :) Hope it's nothing serious!!
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor to rule out stress fractures or anything like that? My other thoughts on this. I, too, sometimes have pain on the top of my foot after a run. Especially in my left foot it felt almost like a small bone twisted or broke. But it always went away. I tried loosening the laces a bit. I found it helped. I don't know if you go on pinterest, ever, but I just saw an article, with videos, on how to lace your shoes various ways depending on what running/exercising foot issues you might have, like what your'e describing. It got very good feed back. If not a pinterst user, try googling laces and foot issues, see what comes up for you. Is it time for new shoes? Or a different brand of running shoe? I recently switched to a new company and that has also helped. Good luck. What a bummer!
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you running outside or on a treadmill, or does it happen with both? Also, going with several of the other posters, make sure you have the correct shoes for both your feet and the type of running you are doing, i.e. pavement, trail or indoor. The tops of my feet used to hurt when my shoes were tied too tight. Are you swelling anywhere else? Are you properly hydrated? Also, agreeing with another post, skip your GP and go to a Sports Medicine doctor if you want to get checked out. Good luck and I hope you are able to run comfortably soon!
  • deeznutz777
    deeznutz777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body

-USMC motto
  • Sarahbara76
    Options
    Are you running outside or on a treadmill, or does it happen with both? Also, going with several of the other posters, make sure you have the correct shoes for both your feet and the type of running you are doing, i.e. pavement, trail or indoor. The tops of my feet used to hurt when my shoes were tied too tight. Are you swelling anywhere else? Are you properly hydrated? Also, agreeing with another post, skip your GP and go to a Sports Medicine doctor if you want to get checked out. Good luck and I hope you are able to run comfortably soon!

THANKS EVERYONE!! So much help!!

I do run outdoors and it all started when I jumped out of the way of a walker and darted from an oncoming car. Touching it does not hurt and it swells when I (try to) walk or run on it for longer then a few mins at a time.. I will def read all the helpful links you all posted and make an appointment with a foot doctor..thanks soooo much! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarahbara76
    Options
    Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body

-USMC motto

HAHA I LOVE IT!! Marines are awesome!!
  • Sarahbara76
    Options
    UPDATE -Is a stress fracture!..I have to stay off it..no walking no aerobics ..no lunges ..any suggestions? So far I got swimming and biking and upper body workouts ??