I need some jogging advice

Options
I need jogging advice. I'm still having trouble with my lungs feeling like they are on fire after 2 minutes, I've been jogging/brisk walking for a few months now, it sucks because I thought I would be so much better by now. I'm fine when I do other cardio exercises.

I really want to do a 5k without stopping but it seem so impossible right now. Any advice, tips??

Replies

• momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a dr to rule out asthma?

If all is fine, start your jog off much slower than you think...get yourself warmed up and than increase your pace. It usually takes me my first mile to get a good breathing rythme down...

Try pacing your breathing....breathe in for a certain count ( say to 5) and than out for a certain count...
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    S-L-O-W down. Run as slooooowly as you can. Barely jog, almost walk. See if that helps. Your endurance should be limited by your legs, not your lungs. If you are having trouble keeping your breath, it's time to slow your pace. If you still have trouble, interval training is in order. Have you tried couch to 5K? It's a great way to get started.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I started with very small distances, coupled with walking to recovery. I would keep track of how long you run (run 1 minutes, walk 1) and then increase something like this...

run 1 minute, walk 1 repeat for 3 miles or 30 minutes.
    run 1 minute walk 30 seconds for 3 miles or 30 minutes.
    run 2 minutes walk 1 etc

or change the times to reflect your comfort level in running. Make sure your pace is comfortable and keep jogging and running at slower paces until you are comfortable. Once you are regularly running you will begin to add miles and your time will improve, but I would just concentrate on increments. People oftern recommend couch to 5 k, but I've never done it.. I did something like the above plan,, then started two smalls runs a day, then longer runs, and now things are feeling really great. Whatever you do, good luck and don't give up.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    S-L-O-W down. Run as slooooowly as you can. Barely jog, almost walk. See if that helps. Your endurance should be limited by your legs, not your lungs. If you are having trouble keeping your breath, it's time to slow your pace. If you still have trouble, interval training is in order. Have you tried couch to 5K? It's a great way to get started.

Yep. If your lungs feel like that, it's because you are simply running too fast.
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Interval training is the way to go to build your stamina. C25K is a good idea to get you to where you will be able to run a 5K. Depending on what you use for an app when you run (I use Nike+) you could set it up for time intervals where you run(slow jog) for a minute and walk for a minute. What I did prior to using Nike+ was to use either mailboxes or telephone poles as my interval point. Hope this helps.

Greg
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Have you used a program? A program schedule will help train your body at a decent pace and will gradually increase. If you're just doing it on your own, you might be doing it wrong. Look up C25k
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,016 Member
    Options
    I sort-of have the same issue. My lungs don't feel like they are on fire, but I do have trouble breathing when I first start out. I just have to push through it and after about 3 minutes it gets easier. It's almost like I have a panic attack or something when I first start out. For you information, I have been running consistently since Nov 2011 and last week was able to run an hour without stopping...but that first 3 minutes were tough.

I agree with the others about slowing down too. That will help you build endurance. Worked for me. Good luck.
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most of everyone is saying here! Slow down.....and take it easy!! I have done a few running room clinics and they say it is not how fast you run...but just keep going! Start by slow jogging for 2 mins and walk 1 min and increase the amount of time jogging till you are able to slow jog for 10 min. And I find the first 2-5 mins are the toughest for me....both mentally and physically!!

You are doing awesome....keep up the good work!!
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options

This program WORKS! I couldn't jog for longer than 10 seconds without thinking I was dying, no joke... I can run for 25-30 minutes now and Im on week 8!!!
  • tracycdrake
    Options
    You definitely need to slow the pace down. Once you have found your rhythm you can increase the pace but but its needs to be gradually stepped up. Good luck I hope to run my 5k in October, but i just had a baby three months ago so I have to very slowly step up distance.
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else.. Slow down and add intervals.. And for me, I have to get through the first MILE before I fall into any kind of comfortable rhythm. When I first started I was jogging around 4.5 or 4.6 on the treadmill now I am jogging around 6.0. As you jog more, you will increase your speed... You can do it!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Im going on the S-L-O-W Down train also. Search Youtube for breathing and jogging form. Both played a huge role in me going from 10-15 mins straight to 25-30 mins straight fairly quickly. I know slow doesnt seem right but you have to start somewhere. If you like structure I also suggest C25K.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • elzire1
    elzire1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try ChiRunning... helps a lot, my daughter and I are doing it. We are doing a run/walk 10K program, it's right online, warmup, cool down, how-to videos- also where to put your mind. Teaches you HOW to run, form wise and cadence and stride to help prevent injuries, so you can run long term, too... the guy that developed it is an ultra marathoner (50-100 mile races). We just went to a seminar and it was great.
    I'd go into panic mode when I had to run because I am so over weight and my daughter isn't, plus she's so much younger (and we've been hiking a mountain 2 hours a day for 2 years, too!). Now we are equal, running, and it's how we run and where our mind set is at.
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You may think you are already jogging slow, but you need to go even slower. You may feel a bit daft, and like you're barely jogging, but all that will come in time.
    I'd also recommend couch to 5k to follow.
  • Marglyne12
    Options
    WOW..this is exactly what I needed. I started with the C25K and then went on my own..I cannot run a 5K all the way yet, but I am doing interval again..it seems to be working..I was able to run 1.5 miles straight..I had to slow down and my Dr gave me some core exercises..she said I need to build up some muscle to help with my performance..:smile:
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not breathing through your mouth, as well. If you are breathing in through your mouth the air is not being warmed in your nasal passages and can create "frozen chest"
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Those that said you need to slow your pace down are absolutely correct..... your HR should never go over 180-your age, if it does you need to walk or slow it down to keep your HR under that.

Google " low HR training " and read... it's not about how fast you go it's about how far you go
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not breathing through your mouth, as well. If you are breathing in through your mouth the air is not being warmed in your nasal passages and can create "frozen chest"

???

How in the world do you expect to get enough oxygen to your lungs through your nose when you are running?
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice, comments...I'm going out for a jog soon and I'm going to slow down and see if it helps!!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    At the risk of repeating every other reply on this thread, slow down and try intervals (like C25K...I just completed this program, and can comfortable run 3-5 miles at an 11min mile pace).

Also, strength training has tremendously improved my running! Everything - legs, core, arms/shoulders...A stronger, healthier body in general will do wonders!