Never hungry, and never full?

Options
I can go all day without eating, and feel fine, and i can also eat a large man sized steak, with sides, and not be full in the slightest. This leads to quite a bit of binging. Anyone else like this??

Replies

• RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Only when I overate. When I started have normal sized meals (around 500 or less cal) regularly through out the day and snacks inbetween I started feeling full and hungry. My daily is 1800 so I usually do 300 or less for breakfast, 500 or less for lunch, and 600 or less for dinner with snacks inbetween.
  • jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    Only when I overate. When I started have normal sized meals (around 500 or less cal) regularly through out the day and snacks inbetween I started feeling full and hungry.

I found the exact same to be true for me!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    A steak shouldn't trigger binging. Could it have something to do with the choice of sides? For me the traditional sides for a large, man sized steak would have to include a baked potato, which would spike my blood sugar, which would trigger the munchies. I've learned that no meal can possibly be large enough to include a baked potato (russet, not sweet). They're the one non-sweet high carb food that my body reacts to as though they were a Snickers bar or a big fat slice of cake, so I almost never eat them anymore.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I find that exercise has helped me be much more aware of feeling hungry and feeling full.
  • Wheelie_UK
    Options
    snip For me the traditional sides for a large, man sized steak would have to include a baked potato, which would spike my blood sugar, which would trigger the munchies. I've learned that no meal can possibly be large enough to include a baked potato (russet, not sweet). They're the one non-sweet high carb food that my body reacts to as though they were a Snickers bar or a big fat slice of cake, so I almost never eat them anymore.

Ironic, I eat baked potato several times a week and have to test my blood sugar, just before and 2 hours after (Due to diabetes) I RARELY find it has this effect on me. Last night was a good example. For ME, it was fresh bakers bread (PARTICULARLY) Bloomers. They ARE high in carbs and I could EASILY eat a 1/3- to half a LOAF a DAY. The bread was very tastey, but I was always left feeling I needed to eat more. I've replaced this with Fat free, sugar HOME MADE bread, with mixed seeds. Calorific value is quite high, so I have VERY thin slices. (Sometimes as small as 20g a slice) This helps to keep the calories down, gives me protein & GOOD fats, (From the seeds), and also keeps the carbs down. Ironically, a single slice can keep me going until lunch. IT DOES impact on the sugar, especially when I did the changeover, but the body seems to have adjusted to it since and I certainly feel much fuller for longer.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    snip For me the traditional sides for a large, man sized steak would have to include a baked potato, which would spike my blood sugar, which would trigger the munchies. I've learned that no meal can possibly be large enough to include a baked potato (russet, not sweet). They're the one non-sweet high carb food that my body reacts to as though they were a Snickers bar or a big fat slice of cake, so I almost never eat them anymore.

Ironic, I eat baked potato several times a week and have to test my blood sugar, just before and 2 hours after (Due to diabetes) I RARELY find it has this effect on me. Last night was a good example. For ME, it was fresh bakers bread (PARTICULARLY) Bloomers. They ARE high in carbs and I could EASILY eat a 1/3- to half a LOAF a DAY. The bread was very tastey, but I was always left feeling I needed to eat more. I've replaced this with Fat free, sugar HOME MADE bread, with mixed seeds. Calorific value is quite high, so I have VERY thin slices. (Sometimes as small as 20g a slice) This helps to keep the calories down, gives me protein & GOOD fats, (From the seeds), and also keeps the carbs down. Ironically, a single slice can keep me going until lunch. IT DOES impact on the sugar, especially when I did the changeover, but the body seems to have adjusted to it since and I certainly feel much fuller for longer.

That's why I think it's a good idea to eat the full range of "normal" foods we expect to eat for the rest of our lives, even as we're working hard to lose weight. There is so much about a successful maintenance diet that you'll never get just from from an intellectual pursuit of the subject. Each of us needs to learn how we, as individuals, react to different foods. And we need to recondition our eyes and stomachs to accept normal sized servings. That takes a lot of time, observation, and repetition. It takes actual experience, which you won't get from your average crash or fad diet.

Bread is sometimes a problem for me, but usually not. I eat both sweet potatoes and pasta at least 2 or 3 times a week and they never trigger the munchies. Neither does rice.
  • SydneyBristowe
    Options
    They've done some research on this (I watched a UK Science TV programme called Horizon about it) and we have two hormones that control our feelings of hungery and 'fullness'. Generally in a "normal" person they find that both hormones peak and trough as you'd expect - so the fullness hormone is high at the end of a meal and tapers off over the following hours and the hungry hormone does the opposite. Interesting they found generally in the very overweight that the hormone levels didn't go as high OR as low for either hormone, they just stayed around the middle ground so overweight people would never feel ravenously hungry or very stuffed.

It could be that your hormone profile mimics that of a very overweight person