foot falling asleep while i run....why and how to stop it?!

Options
ok so i'm gettin really annoyed with this! seems like everytime i get close to two miles my left foot starts to fall asleep them my right one shortly after that... does anybody know what is causing this and how to get it to go away? it really cuts in w/ me running more and further..its gotten so bad during a 5k that i couldn't feel both of my feet and had to walk the rest of the 5k.

Does anybody know whats causing this and how to make it stop?! please and thank you in advanced! :smile:

:glasses: Jpaw

Replies

• deeznutz777
    deeznutz777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i'm not trying to be sarcastic but maybe your sneakers are tied too tight or maybe ill fitting?? Try loosening them and if it continues then you should contact your doctor
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    ive tried loosening them too b/c thats what people have said it was, and someone else said my sneakers were the wrong size, but when they fit me thats the size they gave me....im not sure, i'll take a look at my laces again and if its not that maybe try going up another size in the shoes..and you didnt sound sarcastic lol ive been hearing the same stuff but thank you!
  • victorialeehyde
    Options
    K, I found this article. Looks like we will have to trouble shoot

http://www.livestrong.com/article/437555-why-are-my-feet-numb-while-exercising-or-walking-fast/
  • brooke1653
    Options
    I'm curious about this....I had that too a few weeks ago! It was awful....I couldnt feel my foot! I did end up loosening my shoe and cutting my run short which helped after a bit, as I limped off the track.......I think, however, I might go and get a proper shoe fitting and see if that helps. My sneakers are a few years old (although they were not used that often untl recently, lol) and I could probably stand to get new ones. how old are your sneakers??
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I was going to say check to see how tight your sneakers are.
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/437555-why-are-my-feet-numb-while-exercising-or-walking-fast/

i just read this and i did notice last night on the elliptical that i do not go heel to toe when walking or running, and i think that might be it. my shoes seem to be ok b/c there still new. so i dont think thats the problem. but hwen i started to correct how i worked out last night it seemed to help a little. i think with me having a bad ankle *the right one* i think i try to compinsate for it and it ends up making my feet fall asleep..
  • tsuma
    tsuma Posts: 7
    Options
    Happens to me too.. Bump to read later
  • HollyAus
    HollyAus Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have vibram five fingers which I lve, but even before I got them my toes would fall asleep. It didn't bother my running it jst felt wierd. I do think it has something to do with form because it doesn't happen anymore.
  • Thenewkimmy2012
    Options
    This actually was happening to me and it was because I had my laces tied too tightly.
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I recently had this very same issue. First my left foot then my right. No tingling, etc in leg, just in my feet. I have scoliosis so thought that was causing the issue (maybe pounding of body causing pinched nerve or something). I went to a chiropractor and my DR. Both said it was just local issue and should go away. I've tried different shoes, stretching, losing laces, etc. None of these helped.
    But now I've increased my milage and running more regularly and I've noticed that it doesn't happen as early. Used to be around mile 2, now I notice it around mile 3.5-4 but not as bad.
    Maybe it's just our body's way of getting used to the running.
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I know that Jacksonville has running clinics that are free at First Place Sports and Jacksonville Running Company. Check out their websites. They can help with your form and help with those questions about shoes and foot falling asleep.

I know that mine starts to tingle like mile 6 on the River Run so if they tell you some good info post back here. I need to go get fitted for shoes again.

Also I have heard that if you are swelling and getting a tingling feeling you may not be hydrated enough. My hands start swelling when I am running and I know I need to drink more water. And from what I can tell it is usually the day before water intake that will jack it up.

Hope you figure it out before Color Me Radd!!!
  • SheTrucker
    SheTrucker Posts: 35 Member
    Options

i just read this and i did notice last night on the elliptical that i do not go heel to toe when walking or running, and i think that might be it. my shoes seem to be ok b/c there still new. so i dont think thats the problem. but hwen i started to correct how i worked out last night it seemed to help a little. i think with me having a bad ankle *the right one* i think i try to compinsate for it and it ends up making my feet fall asleep..

Holy smokes that makes a ton of sense! I've had the same problem and my shoes or laces weren't it either, and I didn't know what to do about it. I went to a bone & joint doc a while back for a sore big toe and he told me to stretch my heel cord because I'm compensating a tight heel cord by stiffening my big toes for stability, so I don't have a proper gait either. This was a good topic you posted, nice need-to-know info! Have a great day! :)
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    No dose.... ;) J/K ! Are you using any type of insert in your sneakers? If not, I would highly recommend.
  • Misslisat
    Misslisat Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i'm not trying to be sarcastic but maybe your sneakers are tied too tight or maybe ill fitting?? Try loosening them and if it continues then you should contact your doctor

This was exactly what I was going to say. This happened to me when I first started out and it kind of worried me. Then I loosened my shoe laces and numb no more. :)
  • justaride08
    Options
    I also wanted to mention it that it could be socks! If your socks are a little small or they leave rings around your ankles when you take them off, they could be cutting off your circulation. I had that problem.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was thinking.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    So glad you asked lol.. I actually just asked my friends list about this last night! Happens to me too :(
  • Whitney0919
    Whitney0919 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It used to happen to me all the time, even when just walking, and it didn't matter what shoes I wore. As I've lost more and more weight, I've found that it doesn't happen anymore. I assume it was just the result of the extra weight. I hope you find some relief, because I know how annoying it is!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

This has been an issue for me too, and it isn't the shoes. This article is spot on. I love MFP for stuff like this!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It happens to me sometimes too... It can be very annoying.