Eat your exercise calories??

Options
Who eats their exercise calories that they burn?? Is it better to end each day with a defficet of calories or to break even if you want the optimal weight loss. I used to do weight watchers and I know that sometimes the leader would say that if you under eat then you will not loose. What are your thoughts??? THANK U!!!
:love:

Replies

• jacque509
    jacque509 Posts: 978
    Options
    Not sure if it true, but i find that if I eat as close to the total I do a lot better then if I dont eat the exercise calorie
  • jacksonlady01
    jacksonlady01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I, personally, do not eat my exercise calories. I feel like if I am eating a healthy amount of calories each day that I am going to stick with that and let the calories I burn, stay there. I don't know which way is better, but this is what is working for me!
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my 'exercise calories'. If I was looking to stay the same weight I would eat them- but you have to create a deficit to lose. Here's how I see it (as a non-expert mind you!)

IF your calories are already creating enough of a deficit for you to lose weight- then you could eat your exercise calories. Example, sedentary person at 200 lbs. burns around 2000 calories per day without extra exercise. Now, you cut back to say 1500 calories. You have a per day deficit of 500 calories a day or 3500 in a week. Since each pound you need to lose will cost you 3500 calories- you should lose about a pound a week --- by food calorie restriction alone. So, if you work out and burn an additional 500 calories per day from working out- you could (theoretically) drop another pound that week ...OR you could eat those 500 calories every day and lose 1 pound that week. Of course where those calories come from is also important and a WHOLE other topic....but mathematically that's how I see it.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    This is long but gives all the information you need. Basically, it's important to eat the calories. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This is long but gives all the information you need. Basically, it's important to eat the calories. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Very interesting! oops sent twice
  • izzypup
    izzypup Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Very interesting!
  • mcwatsonus
    Options
    I try not to eat my exercise calories; however, sometimes I just have to. I normally eat all of my calories on my 'cheat" day which is once a week. I have been steadily losing one-two pounds doing that. I suppose if I don't eat my exercise calories I would lose more each week. This is a good topic thanks for posing the question.
  • twilightmom30
    Options
    Sometimes I eat them sometimes I don't I just try to make sure that everything that I eat is as healthy as possible...
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Personally, in the first couple months of being on this site I was able to figure it out with trial and error. At first I limited myself only to the 1200 calories, never eating my exercise calories. I was steadily losing about 2 pounds a week for the first few weeks. After that, though, the weight wasn't coming off and I was being very strict with myself. (I was in starvation mode...my body was fighting back) I decided to test myself and see what happened if I did increase my calories and eat at least 70% of the exercise calories. I completely understand how scary it is to eat more when you're desperately trying to lose weight but it's oh-so-important. I immediately started losing 2-4 pounds a week on a regular basis (my starting weight was high...I no longer lose that quickly). Just give it a try for a few weeks. Your body needs the fuel to keep it running efficiently. Sure, if you starve yourself for long enough you'll eventually lose weight. Problem is, that's not a lifestyle that most can maintain and is the reason people generally gain back what they lost. Change your habits and you'll change your life. Figure out what works and what doesn't but make sure you can bring it with you throughout your entire journey. Good luck!