I need some jogging advice

Options
2»

Replies

• deeznutz777
    deeznutz777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    THis!
    S-L-O-W down. Run as slooooowly as you can. Barely jog, almost walk.

I call this the slog...the slow jog :flowerforyou:
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    SLOW down. I really have trouble with my breathing for about 10-12 minutes. I have to go pretty slow to warm up then my breathing gets into a rhythm and then it's my body that wants to quit not my lungs.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    S-L-O-W down. Run as slooooowly as you can. Barely jog, almost walk. See if that helps. Your endurance should be limited by your legs, not your lungs. If you are having trouble keeping your breath, it's time to slow your pace. If you still have trouble, interval training is in order. Have you tried couch to 5K? It's a great way to get started.

I agree with this. I just started running a few weeks ago. I run veeeery slooowly. 4.6mph. The first day, I was able to do a mile. A few weeks later, I'm now able to do 2.5 miles, and I'll be shooting for the 5k mark next week. It doesn't matter how fast I go; it matters that I'm actually taking a jogging form and able to finish without walking. My biggest obstacle has been my legs, but going so slow has allowed me to learn how to readjust my strides to get relief in my legs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    S-L-O-W down. Run as slooooowly as you can. Barely jog, almost walk. See if that helps. Your endurance should be limited by your legs, not your lungs. If you are having trouble keeping your breath, it's time to slow your pace. If you still have trouble, interval training is in order. Have you tried couch to 5K? It's a great way to get started.

Yep. If your lungs feel like that, it's because you are simply running too fast.

+1
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not breathing through your mouth, as well. If you are breathing in through your mouth the air is not being warmed in your nasal passages and can create "frozen chest"

This is what I was doing. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    Make sure you are not breathing through your mouth, as well. If you are breathing in through your mouth the air is not being warmed in your nasal passages and can create "frozen chest"

???

How in the world do you expect to get enough oxygen to your lungs through your nose when you are running?

This^^ My son's running coach always says breathe thru your mouth. you'll get a LOT more air thru! :flowerforyou:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

???

How in the world do you expect to get enough oxygen to your lungs through your nose when you are running?

This^^ My son's running coach always says breathe thru your mouth. you'll get a LOT more air thru! :flowerforyou:

Even better (to me) is to not think so much about breathing. It's an involuntary action. The body already knows the best way to do it, so let it do it's job. :smile:
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    How slow is a slow jog for most of you? I've been doing a lot of walking, and when I'm on the treadmill (walking only) 3.4 mph feels pretty fast. I do almost always use at least a little incline, but when I'm going at that speed it's usually only a little bit 3% or less.
    Usually I try to keep around 3mph with up to 6 incline, with periods of faster less incline, and a long song or two of 2.7 with up to 10%. I' don't really have any hills around here and am trying to get better at walking up them, which is why the incline and also make my legs stronger. I'd like to work up to jogging, maybe even running, but it's something I haven't done in years and years.

Also I'm fairly new to fitness/out of shape and have a lot of extra weight, though the walking along with videos and a zumba class and some strength training feel good now at least.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I looked up 'frozen chest" and it discussed COPD issues - what in the world is frozen chest?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    How slow is a slow jog for most of you? I've been doing a lot of walking, and when I'm on the treadmill (walking only) 3.4 mph feels pretty fast. I do almost always use at least a little incline, but when I'm going at that speed it's usually only a little bit 3% or less.
    Usually I try to keep around 3mph with up to 6 incline, with periods of faster less incline, and a long song or two of 2.7 with up to 10%. I' don't really have any hills around here and am trying to get better at walking up them, which is why the incline and also make my legs stronger. I'd like to work up to jogging, maybe even running, but it's something I haven't done in years and years.

Also I'm fairly new to fitness/out of shape and have a lot of extra weight, though the walking along with videos and a zumba class and some strength training feel good now at least.

A slow jog of 12:00 to 14:00 per mile is not uncommon for someone just starting out.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

A slow jog of 12:00 to 14:00 per mile is not uncommon for someone just starting out.

thank you !! It's nice to hear it from someone who is obviously a great runner !
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did C25Kfree on my iphone, got it in the app store. It's a wonderful program. It starts you out slow, alternating between walking and running short distances. Eventually you are running more than walking. Don't try to do too much at once. I started out running very slow, my knees hurt, so I talked to people at work that run. They told me to stretch, showed me exercises. I'd never run before. So I did what they told me to.

The knees kept twinging, so I got a sleeve for one, that helped. Then the other one hurt, so I got a knee sleeve for that one. Then I had to get better running shoes, then I had to get inserts for the bottom of my shoes.

What I am trying to say is, you don't become a runner overnight. Esp. if you are like me and never ran before at all. I slowed myself down, did the rest in between and now I am running a 5K 3 days a week at the end of a program. I'm only running 4.5 mph.

Once I'm done with the whole program I will start it over and run faster to get myself built up. It's a process, if you take it slow and listen to your body you can and will become successful. I hope this helps. I am 55 years old and have never run or tried to be fit in my life.

Now I have Tapout XT and am going to start that , wish me luck!!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump. I need help with this. Thanks.