Ground beef fat question

Options
How would you log ground beef if it was originally 27% fat but you drained all of the fat out after browning it?

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Good question, I would like to know as well. I always drain the fat, but still log it as it was. Not sure it would really make much difference, but I'm interested everyones thoughts.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Love draining the ground beef and having a nice cup of warm fat.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    now that sounds just nasty lol
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying less than 93% because so much fat is drained off that my 1lb of tasty meat is now 12 oz. You certainly aren't eating 1lb of 80 beef 20% fat anymore. Unless you drink it...
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's not often I find something interesting on these boards, but very cool! I've always counted my ground beef as full calories, and i'll keep doing so, but its good to know I might need to eat some more bacon on days I have too lean a burger. :D
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    How would you log ground beef if it was originally 27% fat but you drained all of the fat out after browning it?

Since I not only drain my ground beef, but also rinse it to greatly reduce the fat content even further, look for "ground beef drained rinsed." About 18 choices pop up. Pick one that fits the best. You'd be surprised at just how much lower the fat content is.
  • chrislouden
    Options
    Since I not only drain my ground beef, but also rinse it to greatly reduce the fat content even further, look for "ground beef drained rinsed." About 18 choices pop up. Pick one that fits the best. You'd be surprised at just how much lower the fat content is.

I would think that rinsing it would destroy the flavor of the beef. Unless you re-season it after. You would need to re-heat it just to kill what ever bacteria and organisms are in the water. If it works for you that's great, but it sounds like a hassle and kind of nasty.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I would think that rinsing it would destroy the flavor of the beef. Unless you re-season it after. You would need to re-heat it just to kill what ever bacteria and organisms are in the water. If it works for you that's great, but it sounds like a hassle and kind of nasty.

I don't think it changes the flavor at all, but then, when I am rinsing ground beef, it's to add it to a recipe, so it's not seasoned while browning it anyway. Now I wonder if you rinse your pasta? You can remove a lot of starches that way, and it isn't so sticky. (Another tip for you.)
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    if you drain then rinse ground beef it is as lean as chicken breast.
  • chrislouden
    Options
    I don't think it changes the flavor at all, but then, when I am rinsing ground beef, it's to add it to a recipe, so it's not seasoned while browning it anyway. Now I wonder if you rinse your pasta? You can remove a lot of starches that way, and it isn't so sticky. (Another tip for you.)

It would remove the surface starch but since its made of starches I don't think it would have a significant affect.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would log it as 27% fat beef. I never buy higher than the 7% fat though.
  • chumpherys
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I not only drain the fat, but then I rinse it with water in a strainer as well to remove any additional grease.
  • Tsrwalker
    Tsrwalker Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Interesting post...growing up my mom would always buy the 25 or above % but my finance has always bought 7%. I can not tell a difference in taste but when draining the higher percent there is a lot more grease and the 7 % doesn't have as much. I have never thought about rinsing it though..interesting!
  • chrislouden
    Options
    I might try this when I add carbs back to my diet, but for now I 'll stick with high fat.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

It would remove the surface starch but since its made of starches I don't think it would have a significant affect.

I drain and rinse my beef when adding it to things like spaghetti sauce, tacos, etc. I don't season it until after it's cooked. It tastes great and doesn't clog my arteries so bad. I don't rinse my pasta, but I do rinse my rice before cooking it. It helps keep it from being such a sticky mess after it's cooked.

Edit for how I do it:
    Beef-brown it, pour it into a strainer, rinse under hot running water, drain, and add to recipe. I use hot and rinse for several minutes so it doesn't clog my drain.
    Rice-measure amount needed, put in a strainer, rinse with cold water until it runs clear, drain thoroughly, and put in pot with the appropriate amount of water needed to cook.