Is walking truly an effective way to lose weight?

Options
If yes, how much walking would I need to do everyday? An hour?

I want to lose fat and maintain muscle.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    as long as you couple it with a calorie deficit.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Considering I've lost 26 pounds since February, I'd say yes. I walk on the treadmill at an incline, and currently at a speed of 3.8 ( I started out at 3.2 and worked my way up). I also eat a 1200 calorie a day diet and lift weights.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If yes, how much walking would I need to do everyday? An hour?

I want to lose fat and maintain muscle.

You don't really need to exercise to lose weight. It's the calorie deficit that is important for weight loss. So, walking is fine. The walking will give you extra calories to eat.

But, for muscle, you should add in some weighted exercises.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    It works but only if you are keep your walking fast enough to increase your heart rate, which doesn't take much more than a steady pace, a casual stroll wont, but anywho 30-45 minutes a day is plenty if you are up to it
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you need to walk at a constant brisk pace so your heart rate increases, no leisurely stroll. Pump your arms too. At least 30-60 minutes every day.

Walking won't help you maintain muscle while losing fat. Eating at a reasonable calorie deficit and lifting heavy weights will.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    two half hour walks 5 days a week. I lost 35 pounds that way.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    yo dont confuse walking for strolling though! Get up to a nice speed :|
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    45 pounds walked off since July 2011 and now at my goal weight.

So, yes.
  • LAWSBIGGAL
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like I need to add weights. I'm clueless about weights though! How do I use them to maintain my muscle? Should I just try some sort of exercise video or something? What's the best for fat loss/muscle build?