Why I needed a kitchen scale!

Options
I just got my kitchen scale about 10 minutes ago (so excited!). This is one serving of Cascadian Farms organic cinnamon crunch cereal. The box says 1 cup (27 grams). Weight trumps volume, so this is what I should have been eating all along, when in the past I just fill the cup to the brim. Amazing what a difference this could mean for how fast I lose weight if I always use measuring cups. This is why I needed a kitchen scale!!!

cup.jpg

Replies

• Jonahisout
    Options
    Also make sure to tare the cup, so that you dont take the weight of the measuring cup into account ;)

Happy Trails!
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Also make sure to tare the cup, so that you dont take the weight of the measuring cup into account ;)

Happy Trails!

^^ This - I was totally about to say, don't forget to weight the cup to make sure you're not taking it's weight into account.
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    I did!!
    The cup itself weighs 29 grams.

• kneubee7
    kneubee7 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We use our kitchen scale for everything we eat! It's so easy to measure food, way easier and accurate than using measuring cups! Now if i just had a small portable scale that would fit in my purse... ;)
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just got my kitchen scale about 10 minutes ago (so excited!). This is one serving of Cascadian Farms organic cinnamon crunch cereal. The box says 1 cup (27 grams). Weight trumps volume, so this is what I should have been eating all along, when in the past I just fill the cup to the brim. Amazing what a difference this could mean for how fast I lose weight if I always use measuring cups. This is why I needed a kitchen scale!!!

cup.jpg

WOW, i really want a digital scale, i have a cheap "dial" scale, but it works!
  • AndreaL0918
    AndreaL0918 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's not good news, but very informative....I thought the same, fill cereal to the brim of 1 cup...yikes!!! Sad day =( I use my scale for everything also however when something said 1 cup, I got out the measuring cup. I'm going to go wish I could forget this now. LOL ;o)
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Definitely! Purchasing a food scale proved to be one of the most useful tools when I was shedding my last 10lbs. Realized I sucked bad at eyeballing oz of chicken I was consuming lol
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Cheer up! Not everything will be less by weight. I've found that some cereals and chips you actually get more product by weight. And it's especially true with things like cream cheese and hummus. :)
  • natwen
    Options
    That's not good news, but very informative....I thought the same, fill cereal to the brim of 1 cup...yikes!!! Sad day =( I use my scale for everything also however when something said 1 cup, I got out the measuring cup. I'm going to go wish I could forget this now. LOL ;o)

Hehe, yeah I know I wish I could forget this too. I guess I could have gone on living in bliss using my measuring cups, but deep down inside I knew it wasn't right. :P
  • natwen
    Options
    Definitely! Purchasing a food scale proved to be one of the most useful tools when I was shedding my last 10lbs. Realized I sucked bad at eyeballing oz of chicken I was consuming lol

I have been wondering about chicken. Should I measure raw chicken on the scale or cooked chicken? Which MFP chicken listing do you use when its skinless/boneless breast? There are so many...
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think you will find this video very interesting....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Nice.
    I just bought a kitchen scale on groupon.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have the same issue with m cocoa pebbles (LOL, yes a healthy choice). 3/4 of a cup weighed about 8 grams more than it was supposed to. Not nearly as much off as yours was though!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to sell things online all the time, so I have a postal scale that I now use for food measurements. I know, that isn't what it was intended for, but it is accurate.

My husband bought his "kitchen" scale at a hardware store, designed for use by people who do machinist work. I tested the two against each other for accuracy, and my $15 postal scale is just as accurate as his $40 machinist scale. Whatever works.

As long as your measurements are accurate, that is all that really matters. :smile:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Yes, I have learned that the only thing that a measuring cup should be used for is liquid measures. Whenever it's a solid, I weigh. Sometimes I get more, sometimes less--but at least it's accurate.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    We use our kitchen scale for everything we eat! It's so easy to measure food, way easier and accurate than using measuring cups! Now if i just had a small portable scale that would fit in my purse... ;)

^^THIS^^ !!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Solid foods should be weighed and liquids measured in order to get accurate measurements.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    okay, so I need a kichen scale it sounds like. what is the best/cheapest one and where do I get it? and I live in a very small town. so walmart or online are my choices.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    What kind of scale is this?