100 Days of Real Food: Mini Pledge Week 1

Options
Hi!

I started the first 100 Days of Real Food mini challenge today: 2 servings of fruit or vegetables with every meal. Anyone want to join in on the fun or just follow along?

Here's the link to check out the challenges each week

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/100-days-of-mini-pledges/

Any takers? I'm looking forward to cutting all of the "diet" food out of my diet :0)

Happy Eating!
Jen

Replies

• hollyjeanw
    Options
    I'll join you :-) I need something to keep me on track. I've fallen off the wagon so many times I should probably be evaluated for concussions ;-) Would you like to share each day how you've met the challenge? I will. Here is my planned menu for today:

Breakfast: Smoothie with 1 cup unsweetened organic Silk, 2 ounces Kale, 4.5 ounces strawberries, 1 mini banana, and 2 tbsp milled flax seed.

Lunch: Barilla Plus thin spaghetti with vegetable marinara sauce (includes fresh zucchini, red and green bell pepper, mushrooms, and onion)

Dinner: Chicken stir fry (veggies include zucchini, summer squash, green snap beans, red and green bell pepper, onion, and broccoli)

And a navel orange for one of my snacks :-)
  • jenboz
    jenboz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow your menu looks awesome! I'll have to try that smoothie recipe. I totally get the whole falling off the wagon thing. I've yo-yo dieted so many times I should have Duncan stamped on my butt. Anyway... I think posting will help hold me accountable. Here's what I have planned:

Breakfast:
    low sodium V8 juice
    instant grits
    Oikos Yogurt
    Cheese Stick
    1/2c pineapple

Lunch:
    Greek Salad w/Hummus and pita
    Apple Slices and Grapes

Dinner:
    Grilled Chicken
    Roasted Potatoes
    Green Beans
    Yonana (frozen bananas)
  • hollyjeanw
    Options
    Thanks! I play around with the smoothies and switch up the fruit but I usually do have a banana in there for a thicker consistency. I like to add a kiwi sometimes. Sometimes I do banana, peach, and blueberries. Just whatever I have or feel like that day :-)
  • jenboz
    jenboz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok so far so good. 2 veggies or fruit with each meal! Today I kinda fudged with the veggies I counted a V8 as a serving, but I guess that's ok. I had Spinach and a V8 with breakfast, cucumber, apples and grapes with lunch and I'm have a whole bag of stream fresh veggies and some pineapple for dinner :0)
  • mobeka95
    Options
    Jenboz...I'm doing the 100 days too.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd like to join but I need to grocery shop! Tomorrow's payday, I'll see if I can cadge a ride to the store... and if so, I'll report back and join for sure.

Edit: After reading the link, I'd like to clarify that I'm in for this specific mini-pledge. Some of the others are not sustainable or affordable for me (such as only locally sourced meat), and yet others espouse dietary patterns I don't believe to be necessary (such as no refined oils). I think the challenge in whole is great for people to whom these things are important, but I believe I'm just going to choose the weeks that address my own personal problem areas. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a challenge, but that's basically one of the ways I try to eat. Lunch is the most challenging for me, usually, unless I'm good about bringing lunch or buy a salad. (I've been trying to bring lunch as often as possible in January.)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I did all right yesterday. I skipped breakfast, so no veggies there. At lunch I had a quinoa salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, and purple onions on a bed of spinach and arugula (four veggies, five if you count spinach and arugula separately) with tuna and a side of baby carrots (six). At dinner I had grilled chicken and broccoli (one) and a side of roasted vegetable chips that had green beans, taro, purple potatoes, eggplant, and zucchini (two, three, four -- not counting taro or potatoes).

In the OP of this thread you said two separate servings of vegetables, but I followed the directions in the link which just said two different vegetables with no mention of quantity. Still, given lunch and dinner (and the extra helping of the quinoa salad I had later), I probably came in around eight total servings of veggies. Not bad for two meals and a snack!
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I recently started 100 Days of Real Food. I switched to plain yogurt, as they recommended, but I cannot stand the taste (Greek or regular). I made the granola recipe in the book and I add that, plus honey, but I think I add so much honey that I defeat the purpose of eating clean!!! Any suggestions??
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and say that my husband and I did this challenge about 4 years ago after reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, and we have never turned back. We feel great and good luck to all of you that are now embarking on this journey!