Question for the ladies

Options
Do you get crazy cravings around your period? In the beginning--even right before it starts, I crave sweets and give in easier than when I'm not on the cycle--toward the middle and end, I crave greasy, fried food! Does anyone go through with this and how do you deal? For some reason I am weaker around my period and cave so easily!

Replies

• ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    i certainly do crave the things that u have listed in ur question. how i deal with them is quite easy it has worked for me the last two days. i excercise a little to distract me. i always keep active around the house and i always snack on apples which fill me right up and take the craving for such foods away. if the craving is so extreme i eat only a few pieces of whatever i am cravin for then wait a few minutes to see if it passes (it usually does) if it doesnt i tend to give in unfortunately. just think about ur inspirations of loosin weight and that should help with the cravings. just opt for healthy snacks instead of giving in to cravings i know its easier said than done.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    YES! I've been tracking my baad cravings for about 10 months now, and there's a three day pattern - starting two days before. knowing this has helped me know when not to keep garbage around my house - and i make sure to track everything so i know how much harder i'll have to work once i'm done feeling like a crazy person. Also, seeing this pattern has helped me realize that I'm not a failure when i do give in since I know it's a lot more then just willpower going on...
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Once you start eating healthy the cravings getting less. my opinion.
  • Petunia_K
    Options
    This is soo common! You are not a lone. I try to just push through that week and just try to do the best I can. I mainly try distractions to get passed it. I may go for a walk in the fresh air, or have a healthy treat that still hits the spot (or maybe just a little bit of the food I've been craving). Something so that I can pamper myself a little without derailing my healthy habits. It's hard to have three good weeks and then feel like you slide every time your period comes, especially because your weight is so crazy during that week, too. Hang in there! It's just one of the lovely things about being a woman :ohwell:
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I crave carbs....crunchy stuff like chips. I'm not much on sweets but during that time of the month I want them also. What I do is keep some York Peppermint Patties around and allow myself to eat one. I eat if very slowly and enjoy it! I've also found that the mini 3 Muskateers Dark Chocolate Mint candy bars (fun-size) work great for this also. I only eat one! Usually after that, the craving passes. It isn't good to deprive ourselves of something we crave because it usually makes us want it more and then we usually will overdo it. It's ok to treat yourself once in awhile, just try not to lose control. Drink plenty of water and make yourself some hot tea to calm your nerves. You aren't alone....you can get through this!
  • MichelleZB
    Options
    I do, and yet I don't. For the few days before I just crave sweets like chocolate. But then the rest of my time I just am never full. I'm a pretty big bottomless pit, so that endangers weight loss. :P But yeah, I just relax and think about my goal, put the cake down, and walk away. Keep your goal in sigh and never think "well just this once it'll be fine" because if you are anything like me that just once will become just sixteen times.
  • carnie28
    Options
    man! do I ever so I allow myself to to have one of my break days be around the time of the month which helps the rest of the time I try to pick healthier alternatives to what I am craving. you can't deprive yourself that will only make it worse, just have to try figure out how you can make the things you crave healthier and sometimes when I do that I end up craving the healthy thing instead of the really bad stuff.:smile:
  • augustbells
    Options
    The 2 - 3 days right before I get them are horrible! All I want to eat is chocolate, cakes and cookies. Plus I get really *****y which just makes it worse. Why do we have these problems and guys don't?! It isn't fair!!
  • knottylibrarian
    Options
    Thanks all! I definitely don't feel alone :-)