Protein shake for the lactose intolerant

Options
sirabe
sirabe Posts: 294 Member
Anyone know of a protein shake for the lactose intolerant?

In the past I had no problem that I noticed with protein shakes when i drank them after except for lots of gas and other stuff. I am thinking that maybe lactose intolerance especially now when i try to drink protein shakes before my workout and can't finish because of really painful gas.

It's funny because I eat a lot of cheese during the day and not problem, but the second I drink anything with liquid milk. My belly goes haywire.

So any recommendations?

Replies

• mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding Lactase? It will reduce the lactose in the product. Available at pharmacies - over the counter in with other stomach remedies.

If it doesn't help there may be something else you are reacting to.
  • Twiliightmoon
    Options
    I don't believe I'm lactose intolerant, I'm just not a huge fan of milk. I have started about 3 weeks ago using soy milk to make my protein shakes. You might want to try that instead.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk instead. Silk unsweetened almond milk is only 35 calories per cup.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk instead. Silk unsweetened almond milk is only 35 calories per cup.
    Exactly what I do. Silk also sells a 30 calorie unsweetened one.
  • habi23
    habi23 Posts: 6
    Options
    i experienced the same thing last year when i was drinking whey protein. there are some whey protein that are lactose free. for example, i am currently taking hydrowhey platinum
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options

In the past I had no problem that I noticed with protein shakes when i drank them after except for lots of gas and other stuff. I am thinking that maybe lactose intolerance especially now when i try to drink protein shakes before my workout and can't finish because of really painful gas.

It's funny because I eat a lot of cheese during the day and not problem, but the second I drink anything with liquid milk. My belly goes haywire.

So any recommendations?

Jay Robb shakes are sweetened with Stevia.
    Unsweetened Almond Milk is usually about 20 calories per half cup.
  • rednblack84
    Options
    Look for a vegan protein shake, it won't have dairy in it. Shakeology has a vegan strawberry shake or chocolate shake. I drink the chocolate. Message me if you want more info.
  • sirabe
    Options

I do use almond milk. by itself, no problems;when whey is added, problem
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I bought EAS soy protein powder, when I was trying to figure out the same thing. Small amount is only $9 at walmart. And mixed it with Almond milk.

It ended up being something else with me, but it let me cross that off the list.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life RAW. Non-dairy, High protein. Google it and give it a try. It's a bit spendy but I have felt great since using it.
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options

So any recommendations?

Oh so plenty! You have Pea protein, brown rice protein, soy proteins, wheat proteins!

I personally recommend a brand called VEGA, you can get it at any health foods store.

It is a blend of pea, brown rice, quinoa, and other proteins that EXCLUDE DAIRY, WHEAT, AND SOY. More importantly, it is a COMPLETE protein, perfect for people with allergies or sensitive digestives! Tastes pretty good blended into a smoothie! ^.^
  • sirabe
    Options
    I must say you guys are soo awesome!!!! Thanks. I'll look into the recommendations. Others would be greatly appreciated. I am sure I am not the only one out there with this issue
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    VEGA is fantastic. Go for the Vanilla Chai flavour.
  • kabirmasto
    Options
    Also try hemp protein powder instead of whey. With almond, soya or coconut milk. Or a combination of all three.
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I been using the whey protein from Metabolic Nutrition. It has probiotics and is lactose and gluten free and comes in excellent flavors.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you are allergic to lactose, whey protein isolates are virtually lactose free - especially hydrolized whey isolate. You have many options regardless.