Healthy Cheap recipes?/Things to do with Ramen?

Options
ohmyshysamantha
ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
My friend and I are moving into an apartment and as we are in our 20s we dont exactly have tons of money. What are some things I can do with Ramen noodles (or other cheap foods) that are healthy?

Replies

• jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles aren't healthy...Too much sodium and like zero nutritional value.

Stick with foods that aren't necessarily the cheapest, but more satisfying. Some nice green spinach with grilled chicken breast is inexpensive and would fill you up.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Seasonal veggies. Watch for sales. I guess I dont have much advice.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are not only deep fried poison, they really aren't even that cheap. You want cheap, make a big pot of lentil soup with dried lentils. You will be eating healthfully for days on about $2.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Ramen is just empty calories. Get some fruit and veggies!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Skip the ramen and it's high sodium buy bags of lentils, beans, rice etc.
    Sometimes it will pay to buy in bigger packages once you know you like certain items.
    For instance I can go to my local grocer and pay $10 for 10 lbs of flour or I can go to a whole-sale club (no memberships) or Costco and get a 25kg (call it 50 lbs) bag for $14... $4 more for 5 times as much flour... same with lentils you might find them at $1 per pound (lots of meals) at your grocery store but find a 25lb bag for $12-14 at same whole-sale clubs etc, so paying about half the price
  • mcedes02
    mcedes02 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the Ramen!!! They are absolutely LOADED w/sodium!!!!! They contain about 1/2 of your daily sodium goal!! By a box of pasta (about 1.00) and you can get several meals out of it!! Add your fav veggies or sauce or just about anything you want! there are endless possibilities!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I know ramen is cheap but its one of the WORST things you can eat. Honest.

You can get tuna cheaply enough and its plenty of protein. Nut butter's too...not just peanut but almond and cashew butters. Beef jerky as well. Lots of protein to fill you up.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Google images for how to eat Ramen Like a Boss. Best way to eat ramen. LOL

If you want to eat ramen, use your own soup stock, not the packet, add in any vegetables and meat you want. It makes a good soup. The noodles have little to no value and just take up space, but at least you can spice it up this way. Sodium will still be a bit high.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    shop at save-a-lot, superwalmart, dollar general ... all great deals, and it doesn't have to be ramen. You can get bread for a buck, canned veggies for 80cents, a bag of frozen chicken breasts that will last you a few days for $7... And as far as ramen goes, how about make the noodles without the high sodium powdered broth thing they give you? Make the noodles and add your own toppings like your favorite spices and herbs, even some olive oil.
  • Annette8479
    Annette8479 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Saying the word Ramen and healthy in the same sentence is impossible
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do with Ramen is chuck them in the bin...seriously! They are not healthy by any stretch of the imagination.
  • peaceloveandtattoos
    Options
    no ramen please!
    lots of fruits and veggies (for my household of 5 i spend around $50 a week on fruits and veggies...and most even being organic!)
    Tuna is good and inexpensive too. Good luck!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Ramen is crap. For $2-3 you could cook yourself beans and rice. Much more nutritious. Ask for a crockpot for a house-warming if you don't have one already. Oh, and see if you have a co-op nearby. BountifulBaskets.org gives you a pretty good sized share of produce for $16.50 every 2 weeks.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles aren't healthy...Too much sodium and like zero nutritional value.

Exactly what I was going to say. You'd be better off buying spaghetti noodles and making your own sauce or buying spaghetti sauce. I lived off of spaghetti mixed with butter and garlic for awhile when I was hurting for money.
  • TeamNoExcuses
    Options
    Everything in ramen is bad for you. It's deep fried processed noodles and msg/sodium.
  • ElleBee615
    ElleBee615 Posts: 177
    Options
    Are there any co-ops in your state? I get my fruits and veggies for $15/week...and it's a lot too!

I use http://www.bountifulbaskets.org
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    lol wow people really hate ramen noodles.

Although I havent eaten them since my teen years, I completely understand the lack of money when you are first setting off on your own. (was out of the house at 17.... cheese whiz sandwiches were plenty...)

Do I advocate making ramen a daily staple....no, that being said, here is a great budget web site with plenty of low cost meals. Some quite healthy I might add (ramen free as well)

http://www.budget101.com/frugal/ramen-noodle-recipes-1548/

Coupons and sales. These are what you should watch for. Not too often you see coupons for produce. But if you save money with TP, shampoos and the like you will have extra money in your budget for fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables. :)