ll me your best secret foods...I am going shopping

Options
Hello fello MFP's.. I have lost 50 lbs plus then 10 lbs on here. I am in a bit of a "food rut", so I am reaching out to you. Please tell me some or any of the things you find important to help you get through your day. Doesnt matter if its snack wise or health wise or just tastes great. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello fello MFP's.. I have lost 50 lbs plus then 10 lbs on here. I am in a bit of a "food rut", so I am reaching out to you. Please tell me some or any of the things you find important to help you get through your day. Doesnt matter if its snack wise or health wise or just tastes great. Thanks in advance!!!

I like spicy foods. I've found I can make a soup out of just about anything by just boiling it in broth. I give my brothy soups a kick with hot sauce. Started with Tobasco, but have since moved to Sriracha. Make them hearty with beans.

I also found I like chicken or beef chunks steamed with vegetables in a tin foil pouch on the grill. A few TBSP of low fat Italian dressing drizzled over it before grilling and I'm in heaven. The dressing gives just the right amount of flavor, and as the vegetables and meat cooks, it creates its own juices. This works great for tacos as well. Just use a bit of taco seasoning instead of Italian dressing. 3 hard taco shells is only 150 calories. Load them up with the mix and drizzle hot sauce on them. Satisfying and filling.

A little trick I've learned is that when I buy chicken or beef, I cut it up how I intend to use it and then freeze. Laziness is a big factor in me falling off the wagon, so I head it off by making cooking as easy as possible.
  • kwoodson94
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I love soup so that is a great idea. I never thought about roasting the meat and veggies in a foil pack, that sounds very good. I appreciate your ideas!!
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I can safely say I'm not sure how my diet would function without protein shakes, so if you don't drink those already, I'd suggest maybe trying. Talking about home made ones of course.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Chicken, chicken, and more chicken. Also find some good herbs and seasonings so you can mix things up.
    I always cover it with seasonings, place it in a pan, cover the pan with aluminum foil, and bake it at 450F for 45min. Simple and easy and the chicken stays moist.

Also greek yogurt. Everybody says to get plain non-fat and add your own fruit to it, but I'm lazy and just get the non-fat with flavor/fruit added (blueberry and vanilla are my favs)

Balance Bar as a preworkout energy/protein bar.

Egg Beaters (egg whites) and Turkey Sausage for breakfast
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eggs for quiches etc.
    Almond milk or so delicious coconut milk
    Nuts for snacks
    Sunflower seeds are fun
    Chicken!!!
    Oh and a slow cooker for fun and easy meals
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I personally love my raw veggies and hummus or wishbone ranch salad spritzer with them. These things get me through the day to fill me up with out filling me out lol. Fish is also a good thing to eat. any way you want it fixed with the exception of deep fried lol.
  • addaline22
    addaline22 Posts: 114
    Options
    straw berries!!!! yummy any way you have them. I get the fresh frozen bags and put them in the blender with a little ice water and lemmon juice and make 'frozen juice' its great for the summer.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzer - vanilla is my favorite, but it can be hard to find. I also like orange and lemon/lime.

Kids' cereals - I snack on them dry. I have a killer sweet tooth, and I find I get more bang for my caloric buck with cereal,as opposed to like a cookie or something. Mostly because I never eat just ONE cookie.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I know I couldn't survive without fish because as much as I like chicken I get OD'd on it fast. Flounder, Tilapia, and Salmon are always in my freezer.
    Eggs
    Almond Milk
    Varied Salads - think outside the box and throw in things you think are tasty.
    Pickles and Jalepenos (even though there are calories in these I feel they are minimal and since they make things taste good I add them to a lot and don't count them).
    Hot Sauce (Red Hot is my favorite)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs nearly daily. I make so many frittatas.

Raw almonds are my favorite snack
    Laughing cow cheese wedges
    Spaghetti Squash (cook and swap for pasta)
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Beans! Good complex carbs with fiber and protein!

Black beans and corn, mix with salsa and diced chicken breast. Serve with tomatoes, lettuce, lowfat sour cream and a little shredded cheddar.

Great northern beans and cubed ham.

Red beans and rice. Add some turkey sausage for a protien kick.