Healthy Cheap recipes?/Things to do with Ramen?

Options

Replies

• DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Get whole wheat pasta instead of Ramen noodles....WAY healthier and you'll get several meals from one box. Frozen veggies are great to top the pasta and some inexpensive marinara sauce or just toss it with olive oil and a little parm.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Ramen = Healthy Ummmmmm :cry:
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi's grocery store near you? Check them out if you are near one. They also do price matches with walmart so if Aldi's produce looks a little gross, just take their flier over to walmart and but the produce there at a cheaper price.
  • cptdzastr
    cptdzastr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There's a web show that addresses exactly this issue called Hand 2 Mouth. You can find it here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hand2MouthShow

Having said that - the folks here make a very good point. There's not a lot of good nutrition in most cheap food, so make an effort to augment the cheap basics with whatever seasonal and sale nutrients you can get.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can get quinoa in bulk much cheaper than ramen noodles and it's so much healthier for you.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Took a look at your profile to see where you're from and it's a small world! I live near Brighton, but my inlaws are in Waterford so I'm there all the time!

Look for seasonal produce on sale. Buy frozen veggies if the fresh aren't on sale. Buy dried beans or lentils and use them to make soup with lots of veggies. Look at the "Reduced for Quick Sale" meat (I almost always find something good there and I either use it for dinner right away or freeze it for later use) - same is true by the bakery, but I rarely buy anything because they are usually leftover cupcakes, pastries or bagels.

Use coupons. The Sunday Detroit Free Press is $1.50 in Oakland County and has tons of coupons almost every week (none on holiday weekends, so skip this Sunday). If you know someone who gets the paper (maybe your parents?) and doesn't use the coupons, ask if you can have theres! There are also tons of coupons that are online, and tons of websites on couponing which can help you match the sales price up with the coupons to get the best deals (bargainstobounty.com has matchups for the metro-Detroit area).

If you shop at Kroger, sign up for a Plus card and after a few trips you'll start getting coupons in the mail that are based on things you buy. There's an Aldi in Waterford and they tend to have good deals. Meijer has the mPerks program which is an online coupon system that's linked to your phone number.

Good luck with the move!
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Ok well, I'm going to go against the grain here and not tell you ZOMG DONT BUY RAMEN. My dad makes what he calls "enhanced Ramen"...he puts a couple packets of noodles in the crock pot with some water and ONE of the seasoning packets, maybe some other seasonings too like dried parsley or onion flakes, and then dumps in a bag of frozen veggies (peas and carrots, for example) and then just cooks it until everything is cooked through. It's actually very good...tastes like chicken noodle soup. Just don't over-cook it.

Beans, rice, and tuna are all good cheap staples. And potatoes. Buy a Sunday paper and look at ads for your local stores...you can save some $$ by clipping coupons and shopping certain stores on certain weeks based on what's on sale. Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Seasonal veggies. Watch for sales. I guess I dont have much advice.

I would agree with this. Also, I would add to get the store brand frozen veggies too. They are about 25-50 cents per serving, low calorie, and filling. Ramen is not entirely devoid of nutrients. It does have a little bit of protein (not much) and it has carbs. It *is* high in sodium though, so drink extra water.
  • eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    There's really one thing that's healthy for you to do with Ramen noodles... cook them in hot water, add a little seasoning, and then pour them down the drain and never think about ramen noodles for a healthy diet again.

If you have to use noodles then just use whole grain/whole wheat spaghetti noodles. At least this way you'll get some fiber and whole grains. Ramen noodles are garbage and I don't wish them upon my worst enemy.

The same can be said about Syntha-6 protein powder or muscle milk. There's really one thing that's good to do with those if you have them... pour them down the drain!
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    Burn the ramen to stay warm while saving on heating costs...
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are BAD. Way too much sodium and no nutritional value.
    As someone else said, a big pot of Lentil soup is great! I make that regularly. Pretty much any soup can be healthy and cheap.
    Or Casserole's as well.
    Shop sales and look at what's in season. Then build your meals from that. The internet is a great place to find healthy, cheap and affordable recipes.
  • niccolebarnes
    niccolebarnes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just made a OUTSTANDING pork loin the other day. It was on sale at Kroger for $10.00 (4.5 lbs). I coated it with 1 tblsp garlic powder and italian bread crumbs. Seared it and threw in the oven. The key to it tasting amazing is the cooking. 425 degrees for 10 min and then lower to 375 at 20 min. per lb. It's pretty cheap and my husband and I ate it for quite a few meals.

It turned out to be about $2.90 per meal plus the cost of pasta (.99).
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are BAD. Way too much sodium and no nutritional value.
    As someone else said, a big pot of Lentil soup is great! I make that regularly. Pretty much any soup can be healthy and cheap.
    Or Casserole's as well.
    Shop sales and look at what's in season. Then build your meals from that. The internet is a great place to find healthy, cheap and affordable recipes.

BTW, when i make Lentil soup it's a big old pot, costs about 5-6$ to make and my family of 5 can eat 3 dinners our of that. Super cheap
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've made a marinated coleslaw with ramen noodles. Didn't use the seasoning that it came with. I'm sure you can google marinated coleslaw and find it. Don't remember all the ingredients.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/716023-what-are-the-healthiest-inexpensive-foods

Check out this thread.....and my response to them that might help you (below). Feel free to add me....we're broke and trying to make it just like everyone else. I can and will share recipes

-beans
    -eggs
    -frozen veggies (they're so much easier to just toss in with something like ramen noodles if you have to eat them) I also like to -make brown rice and veggies.
    -if you have local farmer's markets, go there and use them. The prices are not always better, but when people want stuff to move they mark it down.
    -buy in season. Watermelon in December is not cheap!
    -rice
    -low calorie drinks....if you cant get off the water, you can make your low calorie zero sugar drink mixes go further. My family prefers it when I add more water to the ones we have at home.
    -Grocery store sales tend to run in cycles....pork one week, chicken the next, ground beef, ect. You need to learn to buy what is on sale. If you have the money, buy extra and freeze so you aren't running to the store and paying full price for something because you want it instead of what is on sale that week.
    -grocery stores also tend to put stuff on sale with a theme. For example...the store closest to my house with have things like tortillas, salsa, beef, and cheese on sale all at once. Or every kind of noodles, pasta sauce, garlic bread, and ricotta cheese. If you can, buy the things that are on sale that you can incorporate into your own healthy recipes.
    -take advantage of bogo sales....if your store offers free potatoes with the purchase of a roast and carrots...consider the deal and go for it. You don't have to use all the carrots or the potatoes...they can go towards another meal.
    -crockpot....it is cheap cooking at it's finest.
    -look for "manager specials". A store I used to work at used to sell porterhouse steaks for half the price after they'd been in the case for a few days. They weren't bad, being exposed to the air in the case and the lights make them look like there were on the way out....but they weren't.
    -make your meat go further. I have a meat eater at home...a pound of hamburger for meatballs was enough for dinner for 2 and a giant lunch of leftovers for him (he's not trying to lose). Add breadcrumbs (buy or make your own) and an egg. Now a pound of burger turned into spaghetti and meatballs last 4-5 meals. There are recipes that encourage this...like porcupine meatballs (rice, meat, onion, garlic tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning. Thats it!)
    -google budget meals, and frugal living
    -check local convenience stores. We have stores here that sell bread (on sale for .69 cents but can be up to $150 for white OR wheat), eggs (99 cents/dozen) bananas (.39), butter (on sale 1.99 for a pound), milk (sold in half gallon bags, 2 bags are .60 less than a gallon at the grocery store), onions(.39), and potatoes (.39) cheaper than any store in the area.
    -coupons are great for things you are going to use. When you shop, compare prices and look for coupons on the package that are good right away!
    -always check the discount produce bins, that aisle at walmart with discounted food and shop the sales. Go to multiple stores in the same area if you can do it fast and you get the best deal!
    -meal planning is smart. Take the ad on Monday, plan the next week, go shopping Friday or saturday to get those deals. Repeat on monday...many times what wasn't on sale on Friday, will be on sale sunday. So you can pick up stuff on sale for the next week, and go back and get what wasnt on sale...if your brain can organize that.
  • Lsufan22
    Lsufan22 Posts: 33
    Options
    No flavor packet, with a bit of Franks. Phenominal
  • znkmommy
    znkmommy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    rice and beans are very cheap and will fill you up.
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    Time to start couponing! By store brand stuff.
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    No ramen! Get frozen veggies and fruits. Whole wheat pasta and bread. Make stirfry really quick healthy and cheap! More ideas here: http://ifiloseweight.com/e/grocery-list/