New to myfitnesspal and looking for some tips/ideas~

Options
I just joined this site yesterday after trying the "other" popular site and I must say I am really impressed! However, I am new to "food journaling" and calorie counting, etc. and could use any tips or ideas! I find that I am still really hungry at night and cannot shake these sugar cravings.

Replies

• mrincredible93
    Options
    Feel free to add me. My diary and exercise log is open to friends.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. My diary and exercise log is open to friends.

Me too!
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    HI lAURIE7075

I am new to this site too, only been on here several weeks and it is the only thing that I have stuck to in years. The reason it works for me is that I am accountable to myself. I do not have to pay any other weight company in order to lose weight. Once you see that you are writing everything down (make sure you put everything down you eat) you will realize what the problems and advantages are to your eating habits. And within a few days you will feel so much better. I have been eating healthier than ever before because you will realize that chocolate and junk food of any kind need to be in moderation, allow yourself a bit of tempation but balance your day so you do not feel deprived, just make sure your healthy food comes before the empty calorie food... good luck and just keep thinking... this is for you
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site yesterday after trying the "other" popular site and I must say I am really impressed! However, I am new to "food journaling" and calorie counting, etc. and could use any tips or ideas! I find that I am still really hungry at night and cannot shake these sugar cravings.

Welcome!

A few tips:

-Commit to recording everything, including beverages
    -If you can afford a food scale, get one and use it. Anything solid should be weighed and liquids should be measured in order to get the most accurate information into your log.
    -If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you can add many foods by scanning the barcode. The apps for these handheld devices will sync with website, so feel free to use both! The apps are great for recording things when you're out and about!
    -I personally think the protein target is much too low. I aim for about 110g of protein per day both to preserve muscle mass and to help feel fuller longer.
    -There are no stupid questions, so go ahead and post questions as they arise.
    -Track your measurements along with your weight. On the weeks that the scale seems to be stuck, seeing your measurements go down is a tremendous boost!
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just log everything, I find having to log things helps me to stop snacking. Also eat full fat greek yogurt when you crave sugar, it is filling and better than ice cream and packed with protein. Welcome!
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    The others will give you great tips, I am still trying to figure it all out...I just wanted to say-I LOVE the profile pic!! Too cute! Feel free to add me for suppprt or general encouragement, though!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Welcome and take a look at this thread - it will help you figure how to set you target calories as MFP can be a bit off especially if you set it for 2lb loss per week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    I am fairly new to this site too, like almost a week now! Loving it! I especially love the barcode scanner feature for smart phones...that's just plain fun! lol. Best wishes for you and your goals! We can do it!
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    awsome response! I totally agree with the protein. My cravings at night and late evening go way down when I've eaten enough protein during the day. Grilled chicken is a big staple of mine! Feel free to add me
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Welcome there is always something to learn. The Greek yoghurt one was new to me but should work.
  • laurie7075
    laurie7075 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding so quickly! I literally just stepped away from the computer to change into my gym clothes and came back to all these comments! One problem, I can't figure out just how to add friends, lol. I have no problem with FB, but can't seem to figure this one out!
  • homegirl614
    homegirl614 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello, although I've been on this site for a few years, I am just now starting to use it everyday. I never thought tracking my food would do any good but it has helped tremendously. I guess being able to see how many calories and fat and other things I was eating everyday helped me to want to decrease those amounts. I don't eat as much as I used to and I am able to control my portions. And I used to eat at night too. Thats a hard habit to break, but I chew gum. whenever I feel the urge to get a late night snack, I chew sugarless gum. It helps and now I don't eat after 8pm. I'm working on not eating past 7pm, but I have to take baby steps lol.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your weight loss goals!!! Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other. Have a nice day.
  • bigwagon52
    Options
    It takes time and alot of hard work. Going to bed hungry is so hard. Dont just be strong and you will do fine. If you mess up one day dont worry most uf us messed up for years. i would just make sure you log everything. Dont forget about the small stuff. (dressings, ect) The more you loos the easier it will get.
  • laurie7075
    Options
    Never mind, I figured it out :) Again, I am so impressed with how caring and genuine everyone seems to be! When I get back from today's workout I will definitely be sitting down to read each and every one of your tips and advice.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Click on a username at the left and there will be a green button on their profile that says "send message" or "Add friend"
  • SamEriksson
    Options
    I'm also fairly new and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good website that would explain the amounts of calories needed and the divide between fat, carbs and protein.
    I know there are sites that calculate these numbers, but I would like to better understand the logic behind it and how to set them according to your own goals.
  • cbi51501
    Options
    I am also new as of Monday the 27th. I like that I can have this with me @ all times with my phone, I have no reason at all to "forget" to journel what I eat. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • cbi51501
    Options
    :happy:
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    Options
    Hi,
    I am also new but found really friendly people. :)
    If you want you can also add me.
  • laurie7075
    Options
    Too funny, I am looking for the "like" button for everyone's comments! I wish you all the best of luck and I already feel better about joining this group because you are all a reminder to me that I'm not in this alone!