Dont know any better :((

Options
I honestly have no idea how to eat right... I want/need help badly!!!

Replies

• think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This is a very broad open ended request. :smile: I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses.

I would start with focusing on things that are in their original state. Shop the perimeter of the store, avoid the boxed food aisles. Do you have specific questions?
  • healthyCAL
    healthyCAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weigh or measure your food to teach yourself about healthy portion sizes. Start reading labels. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it. Drink water, stop drinking soda (even diet).
  • jwilson80121
    jwilson80121 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try to get a good list of friends and look at their diaries. Or go around and look for people with open diaries. Mines open for you to look (though I don't eat the best)
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Start off by trimming out things you really don't need - soda, cookies, chips, "bad" popcorn, candy. Then replace w/good things - water (use an additive or fruit at first to give you flavor or try carbonated water), small fruit (grapes, cherries), nuts (moderation).

It's about moderation so if you know there are things that are hard for you to resist, cut them out and then wean them back in when you think you can control yourself.

Do you like fruits and veggies? If so, try a large variety of these. Meats aren't bad, but moderation is key.

I agree, avoid the inner parts of the store - most of the things in that area you can make on your own which can help you control what's in it. Or, if you still buy from those aisle, be sure to measure your portion sizes to help you stay with in your limits.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Weigh or measure your food to teach yourself about healthy portion sizes. Start reading labels. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it. Drink water, stop drinking soda (even diet).

Ditto. A good kitchen scale has been the biggest help to my diet.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Veggies and Fruit - not canned or with sugar.

Whole grain breads, non-sweetened other grain products.

Lean meats (chicken, turkey, ham, fish) - eggs and lowfat dairy

Some healthy fats - olive oil- coconut oil- small amounts of butter - eat nuts, raw, not roasted. Learn to love avocado.

Start with logging everything you eat. Look carefully at the nutrition. Try to stay within the recommended numbers for Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats (you'll hear the term "Macros" - that's what it means- the three Macronutrients you need for maximum nutrition).

After some time, you will learn what you like to eat that fits into the plan. It takes time to learn this stuff - keep at it.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

there a problem with no sodium added canned veggies that I'm unaware?
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You may want to seek out a professional nutritionist or someone that has had prolonged success with changing their lifestyle or spend a few evenings searching the internet for some better advice.

Here are some basic rules that I follow:

1. Eat five meals a day, approximately 2-3 hours apart. This seems like a lot, and it feels odd when you first start doing it, but many of us 'snack' between 'meals', so I just refer to them all as meals and they are all about the same size. Also, don't skip breakfast.
    2. Each meal consists of 4-6 oz of lean protein, a cup of complex carbs, and a cup of veggies/fruit (Such as my lunch today was a grilled skinless chicken breast, 1 cup of brown rice, and one cup of broccoli)l. My meals typically average around 350-450 calories per meal.
    3. Drink plenty of water (I try to drink at least a gallon a day)
    4. Shop wisely, if the bad stuff isn't in the house, you won't eat it. Make a list, stick to the list, and shop the perimeter of the grocery store.
    5. Don't avoid some of your favorite foods completely or cut them out of your life. Everything can be enjoyed in moderation, which comes from learning what an actual serving size looks like.

These are my basics that don't include exercise, but that may be a different topic for a different day.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, I eat as healthy as I possibly can. I avoid processed foods, sugar, etc. Feel free to look!
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    Calculate your calorie target.
    Aim to eat your body weight in grams of protein.
    Aim for 25% of your daily calories to come from GOOD fat.
    Have the remainder of your calories (after subtracting protein and fat) come from low-glycemic, complex carbs.
    Take a multivitamin.
    Eat Omega 3 like it's going out of style/take fish oil.
    Try making your own protein shakes, I recommend Optimum Nutrition Natural Casein.
    Drink a lot of water.

Next part is more personal than objective:

Don't eat chemicals, artificial sweeteners, trans fat, saturated fat, soda, alcohol, fast food.
    Limit bread (especially white), rice (especially white).
    Cereal
    Sushi (fish is awesome for you, but in my opinion sushi has the worst ratio of high calorie to not being very filling of pretty much anything you can eat, so no good for my diet)
    Try at least buying the "dirty dozen" fruits and vegetables in organic versions.
    Move in to Trader Joe's.
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, I eat as healthy as I possibly can. I avoid processed foods, sugar, etc. Feel free to look!

Deb - I added you as a friend so I can checkour your diary. I'm always looking for new things to eat.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    I recommend getting a good book from the library. There are two series that I have found to be the most informative, the Eat Clean series and The Biggest Loser series.
  • sicilysclover
    Options

You're going to learn so much here!

Track everything you eat. Log it all in and take a look at the nutritional values. I was eating turkey sandwhiches before coming to MFP, when I started logging it and realized my sodium was horrendous. So even though I thought it was healthy, I decided to cut that out b/c too much sodium is no good. I was drinking seltzer water that was loaded with chemicals i've never heard of so I switched to all-natural seltzer. Read labels! Even on things you take for granted as being "healthy". Swap out "this for that" I swapped splenda for honey in my tea because honey is natural and splenda is chemically made. I'd track a normal meal here and then take a look at it - what is something you can trade in for less calories and more nutrition?
  • sicilysclover
    Options

there a problem with no sodium added canned veggies that I'm unaware?

Taylor - i'm thinking if something as nutritious as veggies can sit on a shelf in a can for a while there's got to be something in it that's making it last so long, which can't be good for you. But then again, I really can't say because I don't know much about canned veggies. Just a thought.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. Posts like this make me so sad though :( Feel free to friend me if you want. My diary is open.
  • JennifercitaDEgomez
    Options
    YOu can ckeck out my diariy if you want!! maybe you can get ideas!
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I know what you're saying and this is how i got out of that rut. I dont know if this will work for you, but it has helped me.

First things first 'I do not cook!'
    breakfast - oatmeal and frozen fruit. 3/4 old fashioned oats micro two minutes throw in serving of frozen fruit. peaches or blueberries are my fav.

snack - apple

lunch - whole grain bread. lunch meat slice tomato lite miracle whip or mustard salad w/ vinaigrette (2 TBSP)
    i like the 35 cal bread so i can go 1.5 servings on the meat. i use bag salads

snack apple

dinner
    jennie o turkey burger whole grain bread lite miracle whip blue corn chips salad w/ vinaigrette

snack greek yogurt
    i like plain greak yogurt and add my own fresh blue berries, but you could also go with the dannon lite greek yogurts or healthy choice frozen yogurts. Just mind your daily sugars. Could also skip yogurt and do a protein shake.

I ignore sugar from fruits, i watch my sodium(blood pressure issues in my family), i make sure i get at least 70g protein a day (i'll eat my goal weight in protein when im rdy to bulk more)

Other tips I also keep a couple frozen meals in the freezer incase of emergency. Some will swear against this but its better than McDonalds or ordering in pie. I rarely use them now as i've got accustomed to my grocery needs.
    Kashi Pizza
    Amys low sodium burritos
    frozen yogurt (healthy choice)
    cuties tofuti (ice cream sandwiches)

Friend me and check my diary, my meals are simple and may fit your lifestyle. Im no expert i just know what i know from my own personal weight loss.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you have no other issues (craving, binging, food intolerances) then most of the advice here is good. For me, I have had to eliminate an entire food group and many other individual foods in order to eat "healthy" for me and I don't miss them at all. Eating good quantities of healthy fat and protein are very necessary imo, and MFP defaults are far too low for many people. Also, I think avoiding artificial sweeteners, excess sugar, and "low fat"/"diet" foods is best too. Enjoy natural foods as much as possible.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

Cook at home. Log everything you eat/cook. I believe that is best way to learn nutrition is knowing what you put in your body. Look at what you are eating. Does it have an array of food (meat, veggies, starch, fruits, nuts) or is it just cheese and pasta?
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you have no other issues (craving, binging, food intolerances) then most of the advice here is good. For me, I have had to eliminate an entire food group and many other individual foods in order to eat "healthy" for me and I don't miss them at all. Eating good quantities of healthy fat and protein are very necessary imo, and MFP defaults are far too low for many people. Also, I think avoiding artificial sweeteners, excess sugar, and "low fat"/"diet" foods is best too. Enjoy natural foods as much as possible.

Are you serious? So, if it's low fat but has TONS of sugar and sodium it's still good? Low fat is a marketing gimmick! Don't fall for it.