Hair loss?

Options
I've lost 45 pounds doing MFP for 3.5 months now. However, I've noticed that my hair is thinning much quicker than it was before. I had a haircut today and both my barber and the owner noticed the difference in hair loss on the top-front of my head. Has anyone else had similar issues, and if so, are there specific foods that I should be targeting to help promote hair growth? I'm in maintenance mode now at 2,170 calories per day...although I'm struggling to hit that mark. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have problems with hair loss when I'm really stressed (comes right back when I'm not). But other people here have talked about it as a nutrition problem.

But I'm not a guy. It COULD just be coincidence.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. My Dr told me to eat more protein so I did. It seemed to work for me. For what it's worth. :)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've read there can be an auto immune component to hair loss; not sure if this applies to you but maybe look into whether there are nutrition issues that affect you. It would take some time (months) trying different foods (or eliminating) to determine what may be a culprit. This is something you may want to investigate further.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3369470/pdf/GRP2012-952753.pdf This study is one of the many that identify gluten as being a source of sensitivity.
  • danithegirl89
    danithegirl89 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough protein, iron and b vitamins. If I don't get enough iron, my hair starts falling out. Caffeine and calcium block iron absorbtion just so you know.

I have also heard that garlic supplements can help slow hair loss. I don't know this for a fact though, but it's worth looking into :)

Good luck!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    God only made so many perfect heads. The rest, He put hair on.
  • Shannon12163
    Options
    I did a little research on the subject and found that Biotin is supposed to help. Even the Pharmasist recommended it, not sure it really does tho because I still get a hair brush full of hair after a shower. I was watching a television show with a very well known Dr. and he said that Bamboo Extract was good for this as well. I take a multitude of vitamins as well... I try not to worry to much about it. It happened the last time I lost this much weight also, it growns back in. Thank Goodness. :ohwell:
  • silverbullet07
    silverbullet07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I thought it may be low calories or maybe to low fat grams. I have increased my calories and and raised my fat gram intake and it seems to have slowed down the loss. I don't have an answer but I'll keep tabs on this post to see what others say.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jvpease
    jvpease Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for some really good advice and suggestions. I do take a multi-vitamin everyday. I'm going to focus on increasing both my protein and fat intake. I usually hit my daily proteing goal in MFP...but never come close to the fat goal. Cheers!