Muscle Spasms

Options
I have got muscle spasms in my back. I think it was from swimming yesterday when I pushed to beat my best.

I have read on the internet that muscle spasms are caused by overworking the muscles, de-hydration and an imbalance of electrolytes.

I swam a mile yesterday (and I really pushed myself on effort, it was not a leisurely swim). Also, I finished it all off with 10 mins in the sauna. I can completely understand that I may have got dehydrated because in the 50 minutes I swam I did not drink any fluids, unlike when I am in the gym and I am constantly taking on water. I also did not have any water with me so failed to drink on completion.

Therefore, my question is how can I :

1. treat the muscle spasms and get my electrolytes to normal
2. in future should I have a bottle of water on the side of the pool

I don't really want to drink a high energy drink as it has loads of calories in it

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    1. Gatorade, coconut water, fruits
    2. yes

One drink isn't going to hinder your progress over the next 30 years, leaving your muscles damaged and twitching will.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    2. yes

One drink isn't going to hinder your progress over the next 30 years, leaving your muscles damaged and twitching will.

What is gatorade?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    2. yes

What is gatorade?

Gatorade is a commercial drink full of sugar and food dye. Coconut water is a much better option imo.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    What are you having before the swim? Preparation is just as important as post-exercise nutrition and hydration.

As for a drink, in countries that battle all those awful diseases thay say that this drink has saved more lives than medicine. Rehydration during and after GI related diseases.

1 litre water - 3 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt.

Bearing in mind, hyponatremia is more prevalent than people think it is in sport due to the low sodium mantras of exercisers and dieters.

Still, what about pre-swim what do you have?
  • lisamerrison
    Options
    What are you having before the swim? Preparation is just as important as post-exercise nutrition and hydration.

As for a drink, in countries that battle all those awful diseases thay say that this drink has saved more lives than medicine. Rehydration during and after GI related diseases.

Bearing in mind, hyponatremia is more prevalent than people think it is in sport due to the low sodium mantras of exercisers and dieters.

Nothing particular. When I swam the other day and got muscle spasms (for the first time) I had just had breakfast as usual (blueberry wheats and milk). Then just before I went in I broke a little bit off of a fruit loaf I had just bought. I guess I hadn't had much to drink that morning, just a cup of tea.

I normally only swim for 30 minutes - aiming to do 1200m but the previous swim I had beat my personal best and done 1400m and I was determined on this day to do a mile so I was swimming for a total of 50 minutes plus 10 mins in the sauna.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

Nothing particular. When I swam the other day and got muscle spasms (for the first time) I had just had breakfast as usual (blueberry wheats and milk). Then just before I went in I broke a little bit off of a fruit loaf I had just bought. I guess I hadn't had much to drink that morning, just a cup of tea.

I normally only swim for 30 minutes - aiming to do 1200m but the previous swim I had beat my personal best and done 1400m and I was determined on this day to do a mile so I was swimming for a total of 50 minutes plus 10 mins in the sauna.

I think you answered your question, not enough fluid before swimming and probably not enough food and then extending your exercise beyond the norm. Perhaps buy an electrolyte powder from the chemist and use that before swimming, mix it with water.

Do you have an ice cold plunge pool to go with the sauna?

Also, how do you cool down from the exertion of swimming - I use swimming to cool down after my gym session and I perform all my static stretches in the pool.
  • lisamerrison
    Options

I think you answered your question, not enough fluid before swimming and probably not enough food and then extending your exercise beyond the norm. Perhaps buy an electrolyte powder from the chemist and use that before swimming, mix it with water.

Do you have an ice cold plunge pool to go with the sauna?

Also, how do you cool down from the exertion of swimming - I use swimming to cool down after my gym session and I perform all my static stretches in the pool.

I don't really I suppose. I tend to just sit at the side to get my breath and then go and relax in the sauna. No we don't have a ice cold plunge pool with the sauna, I have said to the staff there that they really need an ice cold shower not a warm one.

Thanks for the advice, think I will have to up my fluids and ensure I have a better breakfast before going swimming in future.