chinese food?

hey hey, so i'm meeting a friend for chinese tomorrow night. the resturant doesn't have a menu online/nutritional information. so i was hoping you guys could help me think up three common options that they'd probably have. i am aiming for about 300-400 in calories. i was thinking shrimp with lobster sauce, but i don't know if they have it. i generally don't eat meat (just seafood) and i dislike spicy food.

Replies

• ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    put in another 30 minutes in your workout and eat what you want (in moderation of course).
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Udon noodles, steamed veggies & shrimp. Egg drop soup. Fortune cookie! ;)
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    According to MFP there's 291 calories in Shrimp with lobster sauce. However, that's for a ONE cup serving. In most chinese restaurants an order of Shrimp & lobster sauce is about 4 cups so even of you eat 1/2 that's 550 -600 calories. Add to that steamed rice (white or brown) which comes in at 327 calories per cup so you better excercise portion control and take home leftovers

Most Chinese restaurants offer a low calorie menu where you can get shrimp with steamed vegetables. A little bland but definitely lower in calories, fat and sugar

Then again if it's a special occasion just go out and enjoy and don't obsess about the calories. One bad meal won't blow your diet and you do only live once. You can do some extra excercise over the next several days and burn it off
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    shrimp steamed dumplings and an eggroll , delicious!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Shrimp with lobster sauce is a good choice, or shrimp with veggies

Try to get a lunch special if they have one. It will be a small portion. (and cheaper)

Another one is beef with broccoli.
  • thanks guys! honestly, i don't really like unhealthy food and eating out makes me nervous when i don't know calorie counts. i don't eat white or brown rice.

ideally, i will get a boiled/steamed shrimp dish with veggies and no sauce, but i can't be sure they have it. i hate hate making modifications to dishes when eating out with friends though so i'm trying to avoid it.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Exercise more and eat what you want! :wink:
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Anything steamed, of course. Stay away from anything that is deep fried like eggrolls, or crab rangoon (I know, it's one of my favorites, too!) You're safer if your stick to main dishes and stay away from any of the side dishes. If they have a Mongolian Bar it's much easier because you can choose your vegetables and have them grill them for you.

It's so easy to go crazy on the portions at Chinese restaurants, so just watch how much you're eating, and enjoy!
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    thanks guys! honestly, i don't really like unhealthy food and eating out makes me nervous when i don't know calorie counts. i don't eat white or brown rice.

ideally, i will get a boiled/steamed shrimp dish with veggies and no sauce, but i can't be sure they have it. i hate hate making modifications to dishes when eating out with friends though so i'm trying to avoid it.

Steamed shrimp with broccoli - sauce on the side. All chinese restaurants have this and its not a crazy modification, you'll be fine! I also get steamed vegetable dumplings and an egg drop soup.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Even if it's not your "healthiest" choice it is only one meal. Enjoy our night out and use portion control.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Lol, sorry, but chinese food, unless, cooked at home, is as unhealthy as unhealthy food come. It's laden with salt, sugar, and lots of "other things".

Your best bet. Don't eat anything stir-fry laden with sauces. Get steamed dishes and soup. Or just be really conservation with portion =) You don't have to eat everything in front of you.