Missing a period?

Options
Has anyone had a missed or very late period after changing their diet, it's been 8 weeks, and I'm not pregnant. I'm getting worried though

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What is your net calories? Women can experience amenorrhea and a disruption in LH pulsatility and ovarian function if your energy availability (net calories) goes too low after a few consecutive days (5 in the case of this study).

There is an equation used to estimate such a threshold:

30 kcal x lbs of lean body mass in kg x 5 days

The study, which is linked below, did not state disruption occurs at or below this number specifically, but rather disruption does not occur at or above. This means you can be slightly below the number and not experience health issues. Every woman's response is different, thus, will have a different threshold value.

Here is the study:

http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This is my exact predicament, I haven't had my period since the beginning of July, definitely not pregnant. I'm not sure what's going on either, but this has happened to me in the past. I've gone 9 weeks without it before that was around this time 2 years ago and after the 9 weeks it went back to normal so I'm a bit less freaked out about it this time
  • c_smith_0789
    Options
    Its happened to me! I started eating healthy and working out and I went from 28 day cycle to a 42 day cycle. Weird, but thats the only thing i can think of that made my cycle change!
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Since I was 14 my periods were clockwork. Im 24 now and the past 6 months Ive been at my lowest weight in about 6 years and one time my period was after 7 weeks another time like 6 weeks its been 5 weeks now and nothing so Im guessing my cycles just gone a bit nuts. I bet if you google it theres logical explanations.
    But yeah I wouldnt worry for now? It seems common
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please read my post and check out the study I provided. I know for "female" topics, it's common to ignore comments from guys but it may actually provide information that explains [in part] why you are experiencing disruption of ovarian function.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of reasons related to diet/healthy why some girls lose their periods.
    1. Lose too much weight
    2. Extremely Vigorous workouts
    3. Not enough nutrients (you may be eating better, but not getting everything your body needs to support a child)
    etc.. hope that helps..
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What is your net calories? Women can experience amenorrhea and a disruption in LH pulsatility and ovarian function if your energy availability (net calories) goes too low after a few consecutive days (5 in the case of this study).

The study, which is linked below, did not state disruption occurs at or below this number specifically, but rather disruption does not occur at or above. This means you can be slightly below the number and not experience health issues. Every woman's response is different, thus, will have a different threshold value.

Here is the study:

Informative article! It explains why I haven't got my period for a while, except the fact that I am still breastfeeding.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I try to keep to around 1500, which, while not low to many dieters, is certainly lower then I was eating. I am usually about 5 weeks on the dot, so it's unusual to go 8 weeks. I'll read the study you posted.

Thanks to everyone who gave support as well.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I had this problem as well. And then I read about a possible link to stevia. Not discounting the other reasons here(which are great advice!) but within a week of stopping using truvia/stevia I started spotting and within a couple days had definitely started. If you are using this, I would recommend giving it up for a couple weeks and see what happens. It could be coincidence but I thought I'd share. Good luck!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had a missed or very late period after changing their diet, it's been 8 weeks, and I'm not pregnant. I'm getting worried though

it's been 11 weeks for me, but i do have a history of skipping them. It's not uncommon for you to miss your period right after you change your diet and even more so if you added in alot of exercise.But you might want to call your doctor. I talked to a nutritionist and she said i wasn't getting enough fat and my daily calorie intake here is set for about 300-400 lower than the other 5 sites i looked at and weight watchers, so i just increased it to see if that helps.

Good Luck!
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Here is the study:

Wow, if that calculation is correct, if I net at around 1,200 calories for 5 days then I *may* start skipping periods. I'm 5'0" and I weigh around 120lb - if I shouldn't be netting that low then I dunno who should! :tongue:
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Yes, it happened to me about a year ago. I went a month without having a period. I did countless pregnancies tests; all of which were negative. I got worried and phoned my GP, she just told me to be patient as it most probably had something to do with the exercise I was doing. And she was right, my period started. I still get months now where i'm either late by a week or early.
  • Elise_healthy4life
    Elise_healthy4life Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i was about to post the same thing its weird for me because im on the pill and only getting really light spotting and this month, and i havent exactly been good diet wise because it was my birthday and i just increased my cals, i have had months where it has been lighter then others but not this light and thought it could be that im not eating enough hopefully its better next month with the cals increased
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

Here is the study:

He's right. I haven't experienced huge delays like the OP BUT when I started college, I did 'lose' my period for about 6 months (I'm assuming from stress of starting college and working full time to support myself because I was not 'active, you know)..... BUT my cycle has changed since I've lost weight. I skipped my period once, and my cycle length and intensity of symptoms has changed a bit (symptom change was for the better)..... NOT eating enough will definitely affect your cycle.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options
    Not enough nutrients or calories can result to this. Also, your body might just be adjusting to the new diet, give it some time.. if it's still irregular then I recommend going to a doctor. In the meantime make sure you're eating properly!