Question?!? Vodka

Options
I had 3 shots of vodka tonight? I can't seem to find calories in vodka so I was wondering if someone here knew how many calories are in vodka..

Replies

• ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    It is in the food database 1 oz 69 calories.
  • rachelbernard
    Options
    A shot of vodka can range from about 60-85 calories. Depending on the brand, and if it is flavored or not. Flavored vodka has more calories. Hope this helps!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmmmm typed in vodka and had 20 hits. :drinker:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    bahha u sure u just had 3 shots?? ;)
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    haha courtney_love2001 yeah I'm sure i only had 3shots. i searched the web and everyone had different cals. So I decided to ask my "mfp family" instead.

Thanks
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I found an article that states pure alcohol has about 7 calories per gram. There are approximately 28 grams in 1 ounce.If you're talking about 80 proof vodka, which equates to 40% alcohol, there are 78.4 calories per ounce of vodka! I hope you find the following article helpful, my fellow imbibers :):drinker:

http://www.shapefit.com/alcohol-calories.html
  • disgustipated
    disgustipated Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    oh belvedere....
  • Carleybby
    Carleybby Posts: 158
    Options
    I believe absolute is only 51 calories a shot, I may be wrong.
  • sparklepants
    sparklepants Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I found an article that states pure alcohol has about 7 calories per gram. There are approximately 28 grams in 1 ounce.If you're talking about 80 proof vodka, which equates to 40% alcohol, there are 78.4 calories per ounce of vodka! I hope you find the following article helpful, my fellow imbibers :):drinker:

Possibly my favourite post ever!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but no. You can't convert LIQUID ounces (volume) to actual weight ounces. 1 ounce of a certain liquid, depending on density, can easily weigh more or less than 28grams. It's the whole 1 cup (8oz) of feathers weighs a whole lot less than 1 cup (8oz) of iron filings kind of deal. So, unless you know how much a LIQUID ounce of vodka actually weighs, you can't use that 7 calories/gram calculation (also, if it's 40% alcohol, it's 60% something else, so are you just completely disregarding the calories in that other 60%?).

My understanding is most (unflavored) vodka is about 70 calories/ounce. Another issue is that "a shot" is not a consistent unit of measure -- it varies from bar to bar and from country to country. A "standard" shot in the US is 1.5 ounces but who knows if that's what you actually got.
    So 3x1.5 = 4.5 ounces 4.5x70 = 315 calories. I'd say that's a good estimate
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    Just to be safe go burn 300 cals and you should be fine. :drinker:
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    LESSON: After drinking vodka, don't try to look it up!