Suggestions Welcome- Hard Time Losing Weight

Options
Hey All! I, for the most part, eat pretty healthy on a day to day basis. I definitely in no way eat perfectly, and am trying to eat healthier than usual to lose about 20 lbs. I'm at the top level of where a healthy BMI for someone my height and age ( 5' 8" and 26) should be, and would like that to be in a healthier zone. Hear less weight and more toned.
For the past 5 years or so I've been stuck in this "go to" weight zone and could use any suggestions to drop the weight in a healthy way and keep it off. I am also trying to start working out again. I have a very sedentary job (unfortunately), but try to stay somewhat active outside of work when I can.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you have a decent pair of walking shoes...Walking for 30 minutes 3/4 times a week will really kick start your weight loss. It worked for me, but I thought walking was really boring, so I go biking.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    If you keep eating the way you are you will lose weight, and I agree with the other poster, light cardio to start.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hey All! I, for the most part, eat pretty healthy on a day to day basis. I definitely in no way eat perfectly, and am trying to eat healthier than usual to lose about 20 lbs. I'm at the top level of where a healthy BMI for someone my height and age ( 5' 8" and 26) should be, and would like that to be in a healthier zone. Hear less weight and more toned.
    For the past 5 years or so I've been stuck in this "go to" weight zone and could use any suggestions to drop the weight in a healthy way and keep it off. I am also trying to start working out again. I have a very sedentary job (unfortunately), but try to stay somewhat active outside of work when I can.

Set point and leptin?

Try this method!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • mmeredith49
    Options
    I believe that nutrition and exercise go hand in hand for losing weight and general health. I started working out with an in home workout program from Beachbody called Power 90. It was a great way to get going on an exercise program, wasn't prohibitively expensive and came with everything I needed for the workouts, including a nutrition program. I have been doing Beachbody programs for a little over 2 years now and have lost and kept off 40 lbs. Let me know if you would like more information!
  • Chultberg
    Options
    Thank you! I signed up last week for a yoga class that's twice a week, and for a cycling class that's twice a week (which kicks your butt, but it goes by quickly). I start next week though. I'm hoping that if I can stay consistent time will do the trick and help me drop the lbs. I weighed myself this morning and have actually dropped 2 lbs since the weekend. Any suggestions for at home work outs? Last night I did abdominals (crunches, toe touches and obliques), free weights for my arms (3 different moves again) and squats/lunges.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Three exercises for you:

Push ups
    Mountain Climbers
    Burpees

They are all body weight and as your conditioning improves, there are a lot of variations to make them more challenging.
  • Chultberg
    Options
    Awesome, I will try those this week. I was reading about burpees last night and they definitely seem like they would do the trick. Thanks!

Three exercises for you:

Push ups
    Mountain Climbers
    Burpees

They are all body weight and as your conditioning improves, there are a lot of variations to make them more challenging.
  • Jingram2b
    Options
    A few comments:

1. 1200 calories as a daily goal is probably too low. You didn't provide your current weight in the post, but 1200 calories is the BMR for a person who weighs about 100 pounds. If you continue to eat that way, you'll lose weight, but you won't like the end results. You'll be "skinny-fat"
    2. Lift heavier weights three times a week. Challenge yourself - pick up something that isn't color-coded. Building muscle helps burn fat. You won't get bulky or look like a man. You'll look fit. There are many good programs. Find one with these six movements and you'll be good: squat, dead lift, overhead press, row, bench press, pull up/chin up
    3. Eat more protein.

Obviously, I don't know what your short- or long-term goals are, but if you do those things, you'll have success.