Jobs on Craigslist--Advice please.

Options
WalkingGirl1985
WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
I was thinking about answering to some ads to some of the smaller jobs they offer, like house cleaning, child care, house sitting..etc and some would say be careful on that site, use with caution..and I wanna do so, but was wondering how I should proceed with things after talking to friends and family first. I'll tell ya the truth, I've seen very little in papers, fliers, and more on Craigslist then I've seen in a whole year.

Replies

• NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Get your money up front, if they don't want to pay you upfront, then turn down the job. Not EVERYONE who posts there is sketchy, but for smaller jobs like babysitting and housecleaning...the people who are posting on craigslist want someone cheap, and they are likely to throw a fit about everything (and then not pay...I know a girl who did babysitting, and the mom (single mom) kept saying she was short, and would pay her the next day...well a whole week went by and she never did get paid. Had to stop watching the kids, and the woman must have just moved on to the next person, because she never did pay up).

Also, be a little cautious of going places alone. If you have a buddy take them with you for at least the first hour or so until you get a vibe for the house. Some men are perverts, and will say they need a maid service, and when you show up they will be all creepy McPerv....

Good luck, and I hope you find some legit work!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    A lot of the jobs posted there are scams. Many are legitimate, but the number of scams means it takes more time for you to sift through them all. Just be aware and use common sense. If it sounds too good to be true, if the posting has been repeated over and over, if they ask you for money, if anything seems suspicious...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Be wary
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    MUST NOT POST WHAT IM THINKING. MUST NOT POST WHAT IM THINKING
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I got a few calls back on Craigslist ads. Went on a few interviews. Pretty much stay away from the ones that say, "MUST ATTACH A PHOTO"

if it's a house cleaning/dog walking job, I'd ask to meet the person in a public place like a coffee shop or cafe.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    MUST NOT POST WHAT IM THINKING. MUST NOT POST WHAT IM THINKING

I think I have an idea. :laugh:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I understand that a lot of the posts there are scams and that people will try and rip you off however as a business owner who has difficulty finding people who actually want to work for them Craigslist ended up being a place where I posted job openings. My business is legit and I did get a lot of responses and resumes to my posting.

With that said it also works the other way. The people who are applying for the jobs can be scammers as well. While we did get a lot of resumes and hired some people we ended up having to fire them because no one wanted to work. I think that one of the people who applied and got the job just did so for unemployment reasons. The other people just did nothing.

As with anything you're going to do, be it contact someone through a flyer, the paper what have you you always need to do so with caution. Just because they're posting a flyer or putting an ad in a reputable news paper doesn't mean that they're legit as well. Like one of the other posters said make sure the payment terms are clear and that you get paid up front. Get the terms in writing with both you and the person hiring signing the document showing that you both read and understood the terms. Good luck!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    if you are offered an 'audition' and when you walk into the office, there is a black leather couch, a desk, and a video camera... run away.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, meet them first, in public,
    for the interview.

If it is a job where you will be inside their home alone,
    it might be wise to ask THEM for some personal references who can vouch for these people. And offer them the same courtesy, have a list of references who can vouch for you, too.

Ask the references how long,
    and how well they do know your employer, too, to ensure it is not just some neighbor they see each day at the mailbox, or someone they just met.

yes, yes, get it in writing, too.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Yes, meet them first, in public,
    for the interview.

If it is a job where you will be inside their home alone,
    it might be wise to ask THEM for some personal references who can vouch for these people. And offer them the same courtesy, have a list of references who can vouch for you, too.

Ask the references how long,
    and how well they do know your employer, too, to ensure it is not just some neighbor they see each day at the mailbox, or someone they just met.

yes, yes, get it in writing, too.

I get the personal reference thing however I could go out and find 5 of my closest friends to say the most fabulous things about me to someone and in reality I'm scum bag serial killer.

Perhaps references on people who had previously worked for them?
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have done both sides. I have found jobs on Craigslist and posted jobs.

You do get a lot of flaky people. Just do your research, always meet in a public or a business (no homes or abandoned buildings). No photos and make sure your resume does NOT have your address or any other identifying information on it.

Your name and phone number is sufficient.