Always hungry

trekkiebeth
trekkiebeth Posts: 172
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I always eat close to my goal of 1,220 calories, but I always end up still being hungry. Does anyone know why? I always thought if you were eating healthy things, you could eat enough so that you weren't hungry. I've only been dieting for a week and a half. Could it be that I just need to get used to it?

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Part of it may be a mental thing...maybe try chewing gum. It helps me.

Also, are you drinking enough water? We receive hunger and thirst signals the same, so sometimes we confuse thirst for hunger. Try drinking some water when you feel hungry and see if that helps satisfy the feeling.
  • Yeah, I drink a lot of water. I almost always get to at least 8 cups.
  • How much water are you drinking a day? If you aren't drinking enough, that will make you feel more hungry. Also, I try to eat a lot of veggies. I will have a huge salad at lunch with my sandwich or whatever, of before i make my dinner plate. Just make sure your go easy with the dressing! Food that is high in fiber will leave you fuller longer so watch your fiber intake also.
  • tearose
    tearose Posts: 94
    Maybe youre not getting enough healthy fats in your diet? Fats satiate hunger and if we don't get enough of them you may mistake the feeling for hunger. Try using a Tbsp of olive oil into a oil & vinegar green salad..also make sure you are a few servings of whole grains during the day..Doing these two things have actually helped me curb my appetite.
  • tearose
    Also you might want to consider eating 4 meals instead of the usual 3 and saving a few calories for an evening snack.
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    You could also start taking a multivitamin. Often when your body isnt getting a certain vitamin or other nutrient it will continue to be hungry and drive you to eat untill you take in that vitamin. I always take a multivitamin when I'm dieting, and I always eat breakfast with fiber in it to help keep me from getting ravenous in the day. Try doing that. I currently split my vitamin in half..one in the morning, and one before/after dinner.
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Just a question, but is 1,220 your calorie goal according to the site? And are you sure you used to correct lifestyle. I know 1200 is like the "magic" number a bunch of nutritionists came up with to say you were safe from starvation mode as long as you didn't go under that amount but most people need to eat more.

Are you splitting up your meals throughout the day? Have you looked into volumetrics at all? Are you eating your exercise calories? I'm sorry for all of the questions, just trying to gauge where you are so I can help. :] Send me a message if you want, I may not check back here for a while.
  • tearose
    Maybe youre not getting enough healthy fats in your diet? Fats satiate hunger and if we don't get enough of them you may mistake the feeling for hunger. Try using a Tbsp of olive oil into a oil & vinegar green salad..also make sure you are a few servings of whole grains during the day..Doing these two things have actually helped me curb my appetite.
  • I'm usually at or over my fat, protein, and fiber goal (according to the site.)

1,220 is the calorie goal the site set for me. I definitely spend my days just sitting, unless I'm working out.
This discussion has been closed.