What do you eat after a run?

Options
I just got back from my C25K, and I am exhausted! Its the middle of the day, I have laundry, dishes, homework and kids to take care of still today! Today is W3D2, is there something in particular you eat to keep you going, or is this something my body just has to get used to?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The only time I really eat anything special after a run is after a race. Especially if they have donuts. I :heart: a post race donut!

But otherwise, I just have my normal meals and snacks at normal meal and snack times.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk is the only "special" item I have after a training run. After races, I'll indulge in the after race goodies. ;-)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Any food with a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein (at the rate that is suggested based on your current weight).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Depends on the length of the run.

I like to run in the morning and up to 10K or so I run i a fasted state and then just eat my normal breakfast (cereal with blueberries, yogurt, banana & coffee). For my longer runs (usually Sundays) I'll have a light snack a couple of hours before running and then tuck into a nice breakfast of french toast or similar.

When I first started running I'd be bagged after a long run, your body adapts over time.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I usually run in the morning, and now that school has started, I squeeze a couple of miles in before I take my kid to school. That means no time for breakfast before we leave, so I usually have a glass of chocolate milk when I get back, get her all ready and out the door, then eat breakfast when I get back. The chocolate milk tides me over and is very satisfying and I LOVE it. :bigsmile:
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I try to run with nothing on my stomach unless it's a long run. So I usually have chocolate milk right when I finish then a meal shortly after. I try to eat smaller portions about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. So it's usually not a big meal.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    I run on a empty stomach because most of what you will be burning off will be what you had the day before, but it also depends on the duration, pace and how many calories you burnt off during the run. on my training runs i can get up to 20 miles easy but i also have gels, and bars that i eat at a set distance. But for me i take a quick mass protein shake it has 1010 calories per serving (and a bunch more stuff i don't feel like typing all that) but i also burn off 3000+ calories per session on select days.
  • kristapennie
    kristapennie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Protein Smoothie

irresistbles frozen fruits - any 60cal for 3/4cup
    2 1/4 cups = 180cal
    irresistbles white cran cocktail light 45cal for 1 cup
    1.5 cups = 67.5cal
    zero fat yogurt strawberry - 35cal for container
    1 container = 35cal
    6 star soy protien vanilla cream - 210cal for 2 scoops
    1.5 scoops = 157.5cal
    5 ice cubes = 0 calories

serves 2
    Total cal per serving = 220

occasionally I'll toss a banana in there as it's good for potassium...
    I prefer using frozen strawberries & raspberries...
    for a more exciting day I use a "Caribbean fruit blend"
    I only use a scoop and a half of the protein because I find it gritty...my husband doesn't mind it though
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    usually a protein shake.

but i messed up my schedule and my blood sugar dropped bad during/after my run so i had a 100 calorie bag of fruit snacks, some trail mix and a piece of left over pork chops.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    Your body will get adjusted after a few weeks just about a month or so. just keep doing what your doing as long as you don't feel any pain. Drink plenty of water everyday and try to get 8-10 hrs of sleep. you're in w3d2 so you just started, you don't need to eat anything special at this point IMO, but you could never go wrong with a protein shake.
    I just got back from my C25K, and I am exhausted! Its the middle of the day, I have laundry, dishes, homework and kids to take care of still today! Today is W3D2, is there something in particular you eat to keep you going, or is this something my body just has to get used to?