Iron Deficient from Anemia or Endurance Sports?

Options
Hey fellow MFP'ers! I'm just posting to see what others are doing to boost iron intake and to see what others think works best -- iron supplement pills, modifying diet, or both. I'm a slightly anemic long distance runner, so I'm short on iron to begin with and the distance running depletes my already short iron stores. I can always feel it when my iron gets too low during my intense training -- the sheer exhaustion, feeling like I can't lift my feet, feeling like there's not enough air on the planet to suck down into my lungs, difficulty maintaining body temperature and always getting the chills... Just not enough iron to make the hemoglobin & transport oxygen, and it can affect my thinking, energy, and physical running performance. So I've had to learn to stay on top of my iron intake. I've added in an iron supplement pill daily as well as having modified my diet to include more iron rich foods (spinach, broccoli, beans, red meat, chicken, whole wheat bread, strawberries, corn.... the list goes on & on). But I'd like to hear from others who suffer from low iron levels. Please "weigh in"!!! :)

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I have issues absorbing iron, and I work out hard. I didn't like iron pills due to the side effects. Recently, I've started taking Purabsorb, and it seems to work great. You might want to give it a try:

http://www.amazon.com/Spatone-Pur-Absorb-Iron-28-Count/dp/B005FA7U3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346259321&sr=8-1&keywords=purabsorb
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I personally get it the old fashioned way...

meat and green veggies.
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I have issues absorbing iron, and I work out hard. I didn't like iron pills due to the side effects. Recently, I've started taking Purabsorb, and it seems to work great. You might want to give it a try:

http://www.amazon.com/Spatone-Pur-Absorb-Iron-28-Count/dp/B005FA7U3K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346259321&sr=8-1&keywords=purabsorb

Thanks! I'll have to check it out! :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm anaemic with Haemoglobin at 120 (also expressed as 12 in different units) but my iron isn't the problem, allegedly.

I have been supplementing anyway and await the new test results but I'm not optimistic as a 1995 test on file was at the same level. My VO2max is consequently in the bottom 10% at 28 ml/kg/min and a 10 minute mile pace jog gets my heart at 90-100% of max (175 bpm) within a few strides.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    vitamin C helps with iron absorption. so when you're eating an iron-rich food, make sure to squeeze on some lemon juice or eat a little citrus fruit to make sure you'll get the most benefit from the iron consumed.

you can also cook in a cast-iron skillet to increase the iron content of your food.
  • taylor5877
    Options
    eating iron oxide from dirt won't help much...so don't try that...

I tested that in grad. school.

FYI
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i've been anemic for years. hematologist said food first, supplements if needed. the supplements apparently can get you too much iron pretty easily which is just as bad as too little iron.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested to see why you're losing iron? My dad was diagnosed with celiac disease recently after becoming iron deficient. At first he thought he might just lack enough iron in his diet, then he had an endoscopy and biopsy which showed the physical signs of celiac disease. The blood test for it didn't work as celiac disease often gives false negatives. It's probably worth getting tested.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options

meat and green veggies.

Women have different issues but diet is a good place to start. I have NEVER been able to get enough through diet alone. I'm not a runner but have been monitoring iron intake from food for a while now. It was proof to me that I needed the supplement.
  • taylor5877
    Options
    Iron is very problematic in that you can look like you are eating enough (plant/supplement) sources, but your body may not be absorbing much of what goes in.

Iron supplements are typically poorly absorbed.
  • taylor5877
    Options

meat and green veggies.

Women have different issues but diet is a good place to start. I have NEVER been able to get enough through diet alone. I'm not a runner but have been monitoring iron intake from food for a while now. It was proof to me that I needed the supplement.

I eat around 100% of my DV from food every day (some comes from a fortified protein powder though for the additional in my diet).

I probably eat more calories from protein than some on here eat in a day though...
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Coeliac here and prone to anemia. I take a multivit, I don''t like iron pills because they "block you up"! I try to get more iron in from diet as well, since I have malabsorption problems.
  • rgarli905
    Options
    You also need to check your vitamin B12 levels as that can play havoc with your absorption of iron-a folic acid supplement helps absorb the b12 which in turn helps with the absorption of iron and the production of haemoglobin!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor done lab work to check your ferritin level? Your ferritin could also be low, which is why you feel so fatigued after a workout. Ferritin are iron stores and if you don't have an adequate amount, it can leave you feeling fatigued and run down.

My hemoglobin numbers were fine but my ferritin was virtually nonexistent! My doctor had me on a prescription iron supplement for a while which made a huge difference.
    You might want to get it checked out, just to see!
  • lilibean01
    Options
    eating iron oxide from dirt won't help much...so don't try that...

I tested that in grad. school.

FYI

LOL! I'll keep that in mind.
  • lilibean01
    Options
    You also need to check your vitamin B12 levels as that can play havoc with your absorption of iron-a folic acid supplement helps absorb the b12 which in turn helps with the absorption of iron and the production of haemoglobin!

Yep, I'm on folic acid supplement for that reason. :)
  • lilibean01
    Options
    I have not had any levels taken in a long time & need to get my blood work & all my counts done. I'm sure it would help clear things up.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Plantation blackstrap molasses and good, old fashion veggies and fruits (apricots, raisins, beans, dark leafy greens).