Thyroid problem

Options
sprkkle
sprkkle Posts: 10 Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone on here as a thyroid problem and if you have any suggestion about loosing weight.

Replies

• K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Options
    I don't know for SURE if I have a thyroid problem, but I'm more than willing to bet that I do, and that I have hypothyroidism. The best advice? If you have a thyroid problem or suspect you do, consult with your Dr. They would be the best person to talk to on advice to lose weight. Either that or a nutritionist. I'm going into the Dr in a couple of weeks (have to wait for new insurance to kick in) to get tested. Good luck! :)
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have had thyroid problems for 11 years now. I have had the best luck with eating a clean diet (meaning no processed foods or sugar), but I have also heard a lot of people with thyroid problems are successful with a gluten free diet. I haven't tried that, and I will not be trying it.

Stay on top of your treatment - if your levels aren't right, don't be afraid to keep getting your levels checked. If you do, you will feel so much better being at the right medication level. And just because your doctor says the level is "normal" don't take that as gospel - get the number! Notate how you feel and what level of medicine you are on. Just because they say its normal doesn't mean its normal for you.
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Goiter a few months ago. For starters I had a blood panel done in January. It reflected that my TSH levels were extremely low. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound on my Thyroid. They did find one nodule but it was not large enough to warrant surgery. But it was determined that I had Goiter, which is basically an enlarged Thyroid. I had researched it and discovered that it was due to an Iodine deficiency. So from that point on I was taking one-a-day supplements with Iodine as well as eating foods rich in it.

Fast forward to the current day and I have transitioned with this site and my eating habits and have lost a total of 14 pounds. Its a bit of a hassle to work around but once you are correctly diagnosed you can address the problem.

Firstly though, Id suggest a blood panel to see where you are at and the Dr will go from there.

Good luck! :smile:
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have been on Synthroid for about 12 years, I have never had an issue losing weight when I count my calories and stick to proper portions (my problem was I always stopped eating healthy when I got to my goal weight and voila! I gained it back).

Just make sure you get regular checks on your levels, as you lose weight your dosage may change.

Good luck.
    There are books for thyroid diets though.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed as hypothyroid since I was 19 - almost 20 years ago. I take my daily dose of synthroid and get my levels checked regularly. There is a book called "Living well with Hypothyroidism" - it gives tons of information on eating right, exercise, and other general informaiton that I found very helpful. You can find it online very easily. For me, what works is low fat, good carbs and high protein. Good luck
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm severely hypo... just same old crap. Calorie counting, eating healthy, busting your *kitten*. It's possible, just takes a little more effort.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the process of getting my thyroid checked, just got the blood work done this morning. My doctor noticed that I have a hard time losing weight even under my calorie deficit, so she decided to check it out. If I DO end up having thyroid issues, nothing ever warranted me to think that I did, well, besides never losing any poundage. D:
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I'm on medication. I went to my doctor for my usual checkup and they found my thyroid levels were too high so adjusted my medication. I'd also talked to my doctor about how I'd increased my exercise and lost a little weight but leveled off. He told me about MFP. Now I've lost 10# since July (half of which I've been on MFP for) and I'd like to think some of it is due to my hard work. I'd say, talk to your doctor about healthy living (eating and exercising) and have your thyroid checked.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    A good start would be to find out if you actually have a thyroid problem. While it's true many doctors (and even endos) can be very difficult to deal with, particularly since thyroid is still being learned about, normal "ranges" have changed and keep changing, etc... I do know that there are MANY people who think they have a thyroid problem, when in actuality, their similar symptoms are from poor eating habits and sedentary lifestyle.

Furthermore: there are lots of other conditions that mimic hypothyroid symptoms. Adrenal fatigue, adrenal insufficiency, anemia, B-12 deficiency, etc.

Best thing you can do? Get bloodwork done. Talk to a doctor. Don't self-diagnose, but also be your own advocate.

Hell, post your bloodwork on here once you get it done! Many of us will be able to eyeball your levels.

/Girl who's had both hyper/hypothyroidism since age 12, no thyroid since 13, adrenal failure twice, etc.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I do, and my advice is the number one most important thing is taking your medicine regularly, early in the morning, at least 30 minutes before you eat. (I actually take it at 6 and go back to sleep until 9 to make sure it's absorbed the best). Get your levels checked annually, and you should be able to lose weight. The only time I had trouble was when I wasn't on my medicine, or my dose was too low.
    Also, look in to the foods you should limit. There are foods like soy and cruciferous vegetables that can make an impact on your thyroid. Antacids can also interfere with your medication, so don't take them around the same time you take your medicine.
  • jennco3
    jennco3 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is hypo. I had to adjust a few things but not much. Your body starts to work better once your levels are right. My sister had the same thing but worse. She found out in November and she has now lost 40 lbs. Its possible! I have read plently of articles and the 2 things that seem to be mentioned the most is to increase the amount of iodine(sp) you get or try a glut free diet. Also purified water and plenty of sleep and excercise.
  • michele_n77
    michele_n77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune condition called Graves Disease which affects the thyroid. People with this usually lose weight before they are diagnosed and if caught before symptoms get too bad. It my case the side effects were awful and I had to be on major doses of steroids. I gained around 30 lbs. which I've lost. Unfortunately, my symptoms are back and I'm waiting for another referral to see an Endocrinologist again. I'd like a treatment called RAI which destroys some of the thyroid glands. In that case I will more than likely go Hypo instead of Hyper. I'm going to stay active and track on MFP! I don't want to get to where I was before. I still have around 20 lbs. that I would like to lose. I suggest seeing your Dr. right away and asking to have your levels checked. Thyroid disorder can cause so many different symptoms.
  • JessMmmkay
    Options
    I have Grave's disease and as a result I had my thyroid removed entirely 2 years ago. I've been hypo ever since, they are having issues regulating my meds. I've found that eating clean, cutting carbs, lowering sugar/sodium, and busting my butt with C25K and the gym has been helping me "move along" despite my TSH being about 14 right now. It's difficult but it can be done!