Before my first half marathon, I wish I would have known...

Options
Hey! We've all had the thought after doing something for the first time that, "Man, I wish someone would have told me... " So, are there any runners out there that would like to share some wisdom or if you remember what you wished someone would have told you after your first one?

Some information that might be important as you consider replying: I average ten minute miles, average 12 to 15 miles a week right now but will increase as I have a good training program that I am following and the "long run Saturdays" will be approaching, and I've been running for awhile - just now breaking into being a "serious runner."

So... please feel free to share! And thanks! :)

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Half marathons are a gateway drug!

The good news is most people are not out there long enough to deplete their glycogen stores, so there is no "wall" to worry about.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Full disclosure: I ran my first half in 2005, while training for my first full. I knew NOTHING. I wish I had been told to taper. As it was, I was running three 10 mile runs and one 20 mile run for weeks leading up to my full. I ended up running my full on a strained ligament in my knee. It felt like running on a broken leg.

-Get all your gear together the night before.
    -No new clothes, only things you know you are comfortable running in.
    -Eat what you normally eat. Do not try anything new on race day.
    -If you train with water, don't try whatever electrolyte drink they have on the course. This will end with you vomiting up something blue on the side of the road on the drive home.
    - Don't make your first distance race in Chicago in the summer. It was unpleasantly humid.

Other than that, I wish someone had told me to get real running shoes. I ran in Nike Frees (not fitted from a running store), and by the end of my half my arches were covered in blisters. Its kind of a miracle I finished at all, let alone kept running after.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wish I wouldn't have run the hills like I did the flat! There were a ton of hills in the middle of my frst half. I paid for it at the end. I felt great during the race, but I was rather hobbled after. I barely made it back to the train. That was the beginning of my shin splints.

Also, I wished I had known how fun ti would be. I knew there would be bands and cheerleaders through out the route, but I never imagined how many people would be on the course cheering everyone one. It was crazy, but a pleasant suprise!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My first Half was actually only the second race I ran.

I should have followed a pacing group at the beginning because I somehow started out running 8:30 miles when I was, at that time, a 9:30 per mile runner.

And it was a freaking hilly race, too. UGH.

I have never been good at pacing myself at the start of a race, though I got much better.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    -Get all your gear together the night before.
    -No new clothes, only things you know you are comfortable running in.
    -Eat what you normally eat. Do not try anything new on race day.
    -If you train with water, don't try whatever electrolyte drink they have on the course. This will end with you vomiting up something blue on the side of the road on the drive home.
    - Don't make your first distance race in Chicago in the summer. It was unpleasantly humid.
    -Don't overtrain and don't run at all for a few days before the race. The goal is to actually run the race. Getting injured from overtraining will prevent that.
    -Start hydrating several days before the race. Drinking a gallon of water the morning before will only make you water logged, have to pee during the race and is too late to do your body any good.
    -Don't carb load the night before or you'll be carb "unloading" during the race. You don't want to be forced to stand in line for a port-a-potty along the race route for both the time and the ick factors.
    -Realize that you really ARE allowed to walk during the 13.1 miles. Walk up any steep hills rather than wear yourself out trying to run them. You'll make up the time on the downhill and feel so much better for it during the last mile.
    -Have fun try to enjoy it. It's such an amazing experience that spending the whole time worrying about your finish time and ignoring the crowds and scenery is just sad. There will be plenty of other races (see the gateway drug comment earlier) in which to try for a personal best.
    -You'll need to buy something to hold all of the "bling." (medals).
    -Give yourself enough time to fully enjoy the Expo when you pick up your race packet. If it's a really big race, like a Rock n Roll, plan to spend at least a few hours browsing through all of the running gear being sold and gathering up the freebies being handed out.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Don't take the Gatorade at the water stations. You'll spill it on your hands and be pissed that you have sticky hands the rest of the race. Water should be just fine for 13.1.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Don't run your long training runs at race pace. Wish I would have known. Also, get into habit of knowing what foods to eat before ouy run. Don't eat something different on race day that you haven't done before. I became the port a john king.Best of luck and have fun!!!
  • arc918
    Options
    Get the clothes and chafing thing sorted out before race day.

Use your training runs to dial in any nutrition needs.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I answered it with what I did wrong instead of general tips. I was lucky that I had some running friends who actually prepared me very well.

In addition to all the other great tips you've received, I'd recommend picking up a tube of BodyGlide. Even small-busted women sometimes find that over 13 miles, their sports bra will chafe them badly. You might not notice much at short distances, but a little BodyGlide under the band was a lifesaver for me once I started running 9 miles and longer.

Most half marathons are LARGE races. Try to get to the start line at least an hour before start time. Lines for the potty and everything else will be long.

At the larger halfs, you can bring dry clothes and whatnot and the race organizers will give you a bag for them that they will transport to the finish. If it's going to be the least bit chilly on race day, take advantage of this. You will get cold VERY quickly once you stop moving on a windy or cold day as you will be soaking wet.

You can get great deals on shoes and gear at the race expo, which is usually the day prior to the race.
  • arc918
    Options
    Don't take the Gatorade at the water stations. You'll spill it on your hands and be pissed that you have sticky hands the rest of the race. Water should be just fine for 13.1.

Ha! I HATE sticky hands!
  • Sunshine8395
    Options
    All of these posts were great! So helpful. Thanks so much, everyone! :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    -Don't overtrain and don't run at all for a few days before the race. The goal is to actually run the race. Getting injured from overtraining will prevent that.
    Too much rest before can lead to dead legs. A short run the day before the race (1 to 2 miles) can be very beneficial.
    -Don't carb load the night before or you'll be carb "unloading" during the race. You don't want to be forced to stand in line for a
    This doesn't hold true for everyone. That's why you practice in training. Eat what you have eaten before. Also, it's not uncommon to poop in the morning and not just on race day. If you have a nervous stomach, an Immodium will fix that.
    -Give yourself enough time to fully enjoy the Expo when you pick up your race packet. If it's a really big race, like a Rock n Roll, plan to spend at least a few hours browsing through all of the running gear being sold and gathering up the freebies being handed out.
    This is a really good way to tire your legs out and impact your performance on race day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! All very good advice!
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Resistance training!!

I ran my first half at 39 years old and was sore for about 3-4 days afterwards. I wrote it off on age.

I started lifting weights more and incorporated it in my overall work out.

I ran my second 1/2 marathon a year later and was totally fine the very next day.

There was something about the weight training, and to be fair higher protein intake, that much have made my body adapt to the abuse better.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Resistance training!!

I ran my first half at 39 years old and was sore for about 3-4 days afterwards. I wrote it off on age.

I started lifting weights more and incorporated it in my overall work out.

I ran my second 1/2 marathon a year later and was totally fine the very next day.

There was something about the weight training, and to be fair higher protein intake, that much have made my body adapt to the abuse better.

The same thing happened to me from my first HM to my second HM. I did zero resistance training, but I had run a lot more miles. Gaining running fitness from running more is why this happened.
  • Sunshine8395
    Options
    I began to see a difference even in the shorter runs after I started working out and doing resistance training. The race is on a Sunday, and the plan is to still be at work on Monday morning, so I'm really glad to hear that it helps with soreness even in the long races!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Run for fun. Don't worry about time on your first race, it will always be your first PR :) Pick someone in the crowd about mile 5 that you have been with for a while to pass in the end, it keeps you motivated. Make something "your" special thing you start before, during, or after your race that you "must" do to remind yourself you're in it for the fun of it. Mine is a donut, I don't eat them except on race day. I also always thank the law enforcement or entertainment along the course for being their for the runners. .