Honesty

Options
Does anyone else ever not tell the truth in their food diary? I don't know why I do this, but sometimes I do. I have kept so many food dairies and things in my life and some of them were complete works of fictions, while others lik this one is mostly true, but still sometimes not. Oh my gosh, I can't even figure why i do that. I am going to try and be honest. And not just avoid posting bad days!!
Joselito

Replies

• jules080670
    jules080670 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I always write it down! It makes me do better the next day! If you don't write it down, it's like it didn't happen.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What's the point of not being honest? You're only cheating yourself, nobody else cares.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think you should be honest with yourself. If you aren't able to have a true reflection of what you're eating, you won't know where the problem is. Its not the end of the world to go over on your calories or to have something unealthy in your diary, just learn from it and work hard to make the next day a better day. You aren't doing yourself any favors by not keeping an accurate diary.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've occasionally had 'lost weekends' where I was doing something special or taking a trip so I just didn't log. However, I feel that if I AM going to log, I should log honestly or else what's the point?

Why do you think you do this? What is the motivation?
  • tiguer
    tiguer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do that too and I find that my weight loss stalls and I fall in to old patterns when I start resorting to lying to myself. I don't know why - I think it's just me not wanting to be accountable to myself. But - like all lies, we're better off just telling the truth!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are on the right track now.

Your food diary is only as good as the info you put into it. If you cheat, you are cheating yourself and the diary us useless. Its useless that day because you have no idea how many calories you really have left and it is useless a month ago if you want to go back and look to see if your weight loss matches your estimates. For me, having something really "bad" on my diary is motivation - either "I didn't enjoy that ________ enough to eat another one" or "I better save some calories and work out some because tonight I am going to eat a ________ and they are awesome and totally worth the hard work!"

Even if you keep it private and never show it to anyone, make sure it is accurate. If not, why do it in the first place?
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to log it all truthfully.

If you are nervous about other people seeing your diary, make it private.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary locked even to my "friends" so I never feel I have to be less than honest. I have seen too many threads about criticism on how many calories someone eats or what they eat to think I would be unaffected by the negative so I just keep it to myself, because if you're lying to yourself about food intake you may have bigger problems then MFP can help with.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    All the time and that's why I stop asking why I am not losing. LOL
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I've heard regarding this: "Your body keeps an accurate food and exercise diary, even if you don't!" No point in lying to yourself, your results will tell the true story.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am always honest in my food diary. Otherwise there is absolutely NO point in keeping it. I do not go over very often, but when I do, it's always in there.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    lol kaxfenix, i think you have quoted many more times than was intended!
    Yeah, i quote like having my diary public because then I can get advice and things, but then again if i occasionally wasn't honst no one can give good advice of it. So i will try and keep to honesty in future, for example today!!xxx
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I stopped hurting myself when I got sober and that is what cheating on my diary would be, hurting me.

If you feel the need to lie on your diary, then I would close it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't record something because I don't care that much. Eating 100 calories over my goal once in awhile is no big deal to me.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    lol kaxfenix, i think you have quoted many more times than was intended!
    Yeah, i quote like having my diary public because then I can get advice and things, but then again if i occasionally wasn't honst no one can give good advice of it. So i will try and keep to honesty in future, for example today!!xxx

Oh no It was very intended...
  • knb2000
    knb2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Even though I don't want to sometimes because I feel guilty if I had something, I do it anyways. And since I am still losing weight I know that even if I indulge a little (as long as it is not all the time) then I will still continue to be motivated and not get down on myself. The only thing I have cut out is Soda and even that I'm not committing to cutting out entirely because I don't want to have to lie to myself and my diary if I have one.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    People like to judge you because of your diary so I keep mine locked, then I got judged for that too. Still locked.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I never lie in my diary - what's the point? The whole idea is that I am accountable for what goes in my mouth.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    There's days I don't log because either I need a break from thinking about calories, or ... no, that's pretty much it. When I don't give a flying f what the calories are, I don't log them.

For the most part, I'll log Monday through Friday.
  • babydoll315
    babydoll315 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are on the right track now.

Your food diary is only as good as the info you put into it. If you cheat, you are cheating yourself and the diary us useless. Its useless that day because you have no idea how many calories you really have left and it is useless a month ago if you want to go back and look to see if your weight loss matches your estimates. For me, having something really "bad" on my diary is motivation - either "I didn't enjoy that ________ enough to eat another one" or "I better save some calories and work out some because tonight I am going to eat a ________ and they are awesome and totally worth the hard work!"

Even if you keep it private and never show it to anyone, make sure it is accurate. If not, why do it in the first place?

I totally agree! I've noticed that I really take a look at what I ate and whether or not it was worth wasting the calories on. Also, in a weird way, my own log makes me feel guilty. I don't like my log to be in the negative at the end of the day so I will go out and do more exercise, even if sometimes I don't feel like it.