Should I do the timed c25k or distance?

Options
I just started the c25k on Monday. Today was my day 2. It is going well so far. I really enjoy it. I even got my boyfriend to do it with me! so I am excited about that.

I have the run double app. THe first two weeks are free and the first two weeks as you guys may no is timed
then it gives me the option to buy the following weeks to either do timed or distance

So my question is which one should I do? I am kind of a slow jogger? so I don't know if I should just push my self for the distance or just do the time? because if I am slow, then wouldn't it take me longer to run the distance? I think the 3rd week it says you run for 400m and then walk for 200 m? I am not to good with judging distance. so just seems terrifying. hahaha

I would like to be challenged so I was thinking the distance so I can push my self
or will this be difficult?

What are you guys doing? or found to be most helpful??

PLease and thank you =)

Replies

• Valdeezie
    Valdeezie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Def work on endurance first. Speed will come later! If you try to work on speed now it will take longer for you to build endurance and you will find yourself stopping alot.

Also, I can't stress this enough, my Dear. Running is a great weight loss exercise so get a heart rate monitor!! It will tell you exactly how many calories you burned which for me is much more than MFP's estimate.
  • Gadsden1775
    Options
    I did the C25K last Summer and used the suggested times rather than distance. Like you said, it's difficult to judge distances when you're just starting out. Don't worry about how fast you're going, just do the prescribed times and it will come together for you. If you haven't already, sign up for a 5K now for around the time you'll complete the program, it'll be a great motivator. It's a great program. I started out not being able to run a mile last July, now I'm getting ready to run my second half-marathon...stick with it, you'll do great!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you have no good way of judging your distance, I'd do it timed instead.
  • jynnantonnyk
    jynnantonnyk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm also on Week 1, Day 2 of C25K using the RunDouble app. I'm going by time (Run for 1min, walk for 1min).

I have my music on and the App speaks to me, telling me when to switch to running or walking so it's easy to keep going without looking at my watch or trying to judge distance.

I have no idea if I'm slow or fast tho, once I upload my runs onto the RunDouble website I can compare my progress I guess.

Like someone suggested, might be worth investing in a heart rate monitor, it's really motivating to see how 30 mins work can create a nice burn. Estimates are all well and good, but the HRM will give a reading specific to you and how hard you worked.

Add me if you'd like to, I am a complete newbie to running for fitness but loving it so far.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you have no good way of judging your distance, I'd do it timed instead.

This. Although if you have a smartphone there are apps that are very accurate and use GPS to record distance. If you really get in to it, you may want to buy something like a GPS watch (Garmin).
  • engineergirl
    engineergirl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have a smartphone, the app uses GPS to track distance for you. I use it daily, on the distance mode. I've started and stopped c25k several times trying to run by time and now that I'm doing it for distance I'm doing SO much better! I recommend distance, as it tells you your pace and you can adjust accordingly. I found when I tried to run for time all I did was watch the clock. At least this way I can say ok, that light pole is the last tenth of a mile then I'm done!

Just my 2 cents. =)
  • xxPEANUTxx
    Options
    Oh I forgot to say I do have an app to help me. I am also using the run double app moleysnowdrop (I will most definitely add you! =D. We can motivate each other)

So that being said that I do have something to track the distance, I should just do the distance version then? Maybe the distance is better like what you said engineergirl. Becuase I was thinking the same way that it would push me more. And even in the first timed week I keep looking at the time. haha.

I was just thinking of getting a heart rate monitor. I shall look into it!

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR ANSWERS =)