SO HUNGRY!!!

Options
I am so hungry all the time!! I'm so frustrated because a couple of hours after eating a decent meal (400-600 cals with protein) my stomach is growling again. :( Can someone please help? I've tried drinking more....eating more protein....more fiber...nothing seems to satisfy the hunger:(

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    lets see your diary.. I would like to see whatcha got going on.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    ok I opened it up. thought it was already...sorry:) Today is a pretty typical day. I guarantee I'm gonna be starved before bed time though.
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm sometimes the same, what about eating more fruit as snacks? and what i do is if i need to eat more i try and exercise it off before eating it
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you .. hard for me to say if you are really training for a Tri I would say your carbs look good..

If I had to suggestion something I would really have to say if you are truly hungry like its from your body not your mind.

Eat a bigger breakfast.. Throw an egg in there or two
    are you breaking your snacks up ? Eat what you have in snacks but add baby carrorts to a snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner..

Finally up your protein a little more..

Thats all I got..
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If you are actually training for a triathlon, you are not eating anywhere near enough food. No wonder you're always hungry!

Why are you always coming in several hundred calories below goal? Do you realize that MFP has already built a calorie deficit into your goal? You should be trying to MEET goal, not come in under.

You'd also be better off trying to get at least 100g of protein a day, especially if you are exercising. It will help preserve your muscle mass.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Today's the only day I can find filled in in your diary - when did you join? If I ate Subway meals for lunch & dinner I'd be starving too! They're OK for a cheap fast meal, but I can eat a heck of a lot more salad that they put in one of their rolls, and there's not a lot of protein in that little bit of thin sliced meat. If you ate less bread and more veg you'd find you're not so hungry.

Your lunch for example comes to 480 calories - you could have had a huge plateful of food and a dessert for that, and all you got was a 6" sandwich!

Have you been exercising? Make sure that you add it to your diary, unless you already included it in your lifestyle & enrolled as "moderately active" or "very active". If you do more than accounted for there, or if you put yourself down as "sedentary" make sure that you eat the extra calories you earn - or at least 50% of them as some estimates of the calories burnt are a bit optimistic.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I can't really tell how much fiber you are getting, but I would eat more protein and fat and probably more fiber too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Subway doesn't fill me up for very long either.
  • runnermama81
    Options
    The tri is over but I do run 15-20 miles per week. I thought it was all the running that was making me so hungry, but I am getting over a virus and not been running as much and am still just as hungry.
    One thing I forgot to mention is I do have Hyperthyroidism, but its not hyper enough to make losing weight easy.

And yes, I do usually eat back my calories from running.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Your profile says that you are training for a triathalon, but your calorie goal doesn't change to reflect that. If you aren't eating those calories back AND you are eating under the target, then of course you will be starving. I am saying this from personal experience.
  • mslainie
    mslainie Posts: 25
    Options
    The first two weeks on any diet i am always hungry. After about two weeks it gets better
  • runnermama81
    Options
    Today's the only day I can find filled in in your diary - when did you join? If I ate Subway meals for lunch & dinner I'd be starving too! They're OK for a cheap fast meal, but I can eat a heck of a lot more salad that they put in one of their rolls, and there's not a lot of protein in that little bit of thin sliced meat. If you ate less bread and more veg you'd find you're not so hungry.

Your lunch for example comes to 480 calories - you could have had a huge plateful of food and a dessert for that, and all you got was a 6" sandwich!

Have you been exercising? Make sure that you add it to your diary, unless you already included it in your lifestyle & enrolled as "moderately active" or "very active". If you do more than accounted for there, or if you put yourself down as "sedentary" make sure that you eat the extra calories you earn - or at least 50% of them as some estimates of the calories burnt are a bit optimistic.

I have my profile at mildy active as I walk a lot at work. I do eat back excercise cals but didn't work out today so that's why I'm low. I will have a snack tonight too.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the more protein approach here. I eat tons daily, never enough, and am never hungry.
    Give me a 6" subway club and I'll be hungry in an hour or so.
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Way more fat and protein is needed here. I would be starving on your ratios. I shoot for 40% protein, 35% fat (good fat) & 25% carbs. Try that for a week or two and see if it helps. Also, more real food and less easy food. Pre-prep saves my butt. Grilled chicken breasts, quinoa. Happy whole foods.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    From today, you are not eating what I would call well -- lots of bread will leave me hungry. I've replaced it with tons of small quanties of variety and upped the number of meals -- When I feel hungry I eat something but try to do low calorie stuff - a rice cake/wasa instead of bread, 3 tomatoes or a banana and I've cut the hunger for a while. A protein shake. Etc.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Way more fat and protein is needed here. I would be starving on your ratios. I shoot for 40% protein, 35% fat (good fat) & 25% carbs. Try that for a week or two and see if it helps. Also, more real food and less easy food. Pre-prep saves my butt. Grilled chicken breasts, quinoa. Happy whole foods.

^^ This

Whole foods are lower in calories and keep you fuller longer. Nothing wrong with subway from time to time, but you're better off preparing your own stuff and incorporating more whole foods.
  • danoftroy
    danoftroy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    “Always hungry” is a very common comment on this site and the source of a lot of stress for members.

I think it isn't much different from trying to kick any habit. Nicotine, caffeine, or cocaine. Withdrawal from a sugar dependency (all food turns to some kind of sugar) is just plain hard to do. Relapse is easy and just takes a lot of will power.

Hang in there. Others here have responded with some sound advice.

Believe us, it gets easier.

Signed

“215 down from 265”
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half century ride (cyclist version of a half marathon) and find on heavy training days I have to eat close to 1800-2000 to feel satisfied. Once a week I purposely overeat to further boost metabolism. I aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight to help with muscle recovery.

1. Eat more.
    2. Eat quality. Get the most nutrition bang for the calorie.
    3. Lift weights, lift heavy and often.

To make it through a marathon, you are going to have to fuel that body. Give it what it needs and it will give you the strength to power through.
  • GhostPack
    GhostPack Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Quick example:
    My lunch today had 3/4 lbs of beef (12oz) and 2 cups of veggies. All for under 800 cals.
    For got to add:
    I will not be hungry (not really) later when I power down dinner. I will eat leaner meat (chicken or fish)
    Another good one. 6 oz of chicken breast strips, foster farms, is only about 200 cals, and will have you quite full. Add in the veggies plus other... Still under 500 cals easy.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the wheat!
    I don't eat bread very often anymore and I find that between the protein and veggies, I am struggling to eat all my calories back due to fullness.