How in the hell do I use barley besides soup??!!?

Options
My mom gave me this GIGANTIC bag of barley, and the only way I know to use it is in beef barley soup!

I know barley is good for you, and I like it, but have NO CLUE what else to put it in!

Any ideas?

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My fave way to eat it...is to treat it like rice. Use it in pilafs, as a side by itself, whole grain/bean salads.
    Check out www.vegweb.com (yes it's a vegetarian/vegan site but it will give you some great ideas).
  • neeneralberta
    neeneralberta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MMM yummy I Love barley! I use it like rice and make a rissoto type thing with chicken stock, I also will put it in the blender with brown rice and flax seed untill coarlsy ground, then boil it one part mix to 4 parts water to make a delicious hot breakfast.... very yummy with just a touch of maple syrup or cinnamon and a splash of cold milk on top.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it like rice too - I put a little pepper on top. I also will mix some in with a salad, along with beans.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Beer!! :love:

That probably didn't help. :tongue:
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    barley rissotto is SOOOOO good.
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, guys...I never thought outside the box with that :)

I am trying to limit my meat to 2-3 times a week, so that veg/vegan site may be good to go to!

And yes, I wish I knew how to make my own beer...that would be dangerous in so many ways :drinker:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time as a replacement for rice!