Calories earned from excercise

Options
So yesterday I burned 824 calories in 1 hour. MFP tells me "You've earned 824 extra calories from exercise today"

Shouldn't it take the 824 and subtract its calculated BMR for one hour?

In other words, if you have a BMR of 100 calories/hour and you burn 800 calories exercising for 1 hour, shouldn't your extra calories from exercise only be 700 calories?

Replies

• kirchren
    Options
    That is a brilliant question, although I don't have an answer, I am going to keep an eye on this thread to see if someone can answer that. Your logic seems correct to me, but maybe that calorie burn already takes off a bit for your BMR? Not sure, but what a great question.
    Karen
  • dharmabum1974
    dharmabum1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You blew my mind here. I really need to make sure I don't eat all my exercise calories.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Wow.....never would have thought of this.....bump.....
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I think (don't quote me on it) that higher end HRM's take this into account. I know a fitbit does as well.

Otherwise, you can "double count" some calories. But I don't trust a burn number without a properly set up HRM with chest strap.
  • CrazyIrishLatina
    Options
    WOW! all of you above had GREAT questions and anwers...Im with thee ^ I use a fit bit and it does it for me...so when I log in mi exercises I put time started so it does nto double point mi...however I never log house chores or walking from here to there...so I force myself to stay in the cal range....
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it does use the chest strap. My gut feeling is that it does not account for BMR. The reason why I think this is because (for grins) I hooked myself up and recorded my drive home in traffic~! LOL Anyway, I burned 99 calories in 35minutes, which is what my BMR probably is.
  • Melissat33
    Options
    Idk the answer my friend but I have read and heard u were suppose to eat back ur earned calories more is better I guess! I don't eat back my calories but my husband does he loses every time we weigh in and I lose but not near what he does also I'm not sure if it's because he is a guy and guys lose easier then girls or because he eats his earned calories back let me know if u find and answer
  • aaeros
    aaeros Posts: 157
    Options
    Anyone else have thoughts on this?
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    Found this on another site.

Pretty interesting.

http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/brm
  • empot
    empot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    From speaking with nutritionists and trainers, it is best to set a healthy calorie intake (mine is 1600/day) with balanced macro nutritient intake (mine is 50%carb, 20%fat, 30%protein with 25g fiber, under 2000 sodium) and eat that daily regardless of calorie burn. Therefore more calorie burn will be additional benefit for your health, plus your body is never left in feast or famine mode, which allows the metabolism to recover and function optimally. It has worked GREAT for me. Im down 83 lbs and losing an avg of 1.5-2lbs a week.
  • empot
    empot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    P.S. less is not more, always eat your calories within a 100-200 calorie range!