Power planks/power push-ups

Options
Hello all you fit beautiful MFP's!

Yesterday I did a combo move that I have never heard of or seen before.

I did a 15 sec plank followed immediately by 10 push ups and continued to do so for 5 sets of each without break. It was difficult, i was shaking and I felt wonderful (in a holy **** that almost killed me kind of way).

Has anyone else done this move? Does it have a name?

I'm also interested in hearing some other combo moves as I feel it worked me harder than doing them individually.

My core is sore in the best way possible today! :)

Replies

• LeggiGetsFit
    LeggiGetsFit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Can anyone hear my cries? ;)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Can anyone hear my cries? ;)

We can hear your abs pleading for a break no doubt.

I think the official name for that would be called super-sets and yes, they're killer awesome. I like to incorporate some of these into my workouts occasionally to shake things up. Just use your imagination and stack exercises that work similar muscle groups. I like to stack weighted exercises with body weight counterparts. Dumbbell bench press followed by push ups is a great one for example. I also like the chin up followed by leg raises since I'm already hanging there. Great combo move.

On the core you can do the rotisserie chicken thing where you do a side plank, middle plank, then side plank on the other side. You have to shorten you plank times a bit for each one but it's a killer as well.
  • LeggiGetsFit
    Options
    Oh heck yes!!! Love all your suggestions. Thanks :)
  • iWaffle
    Options
    One other more advanced strength training tip would be using drop-sets. You really can't do these with body weight but using something like dumbbells or a cable or weight machine it's effective.

Let's say you're doing dumbbell curls and you can do 25 lbs. 10 times. Do that and then without more than a 5-10 second break switch to 20 lb. dumbbells and do 10 more. Switch to 15s and do 10 more, ect. until you're burnt out or run out of smaller weights. Save these till the end of your workout because it really blows through the rest of the strength you have left in your muscles.

Super-sets and drop-sets don't have to be used every time you work out but they're great additions to your routine to keep things from getting boring and to squeeze out the last drop of effort you can from your muscles from time to time. Best of luck.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Another good one to incorporate is to move into plank position. Bring your left hand to your hip and then down again and repeat on your right side. In other words you should only have one elbow on the floor at any one time during the whole set. Keeping as straight as possible ofcourse - KILLS!
  • LeggiGetsFit
    Options
    Again, another great suggestion! Much appreciated.
  • LeggiGetsFit
    Options
    Another good one to incorporate is to move into plank position. Bring your left hand to your hip and then down again and repeat on your right side. In other words you should only have one elbow on the floor at any one time during the whole set. Keeping as straight as possible ofcourse - KILLS!

Awesome!! Will try for sure!
  • iWaffle
    Options

That sounds sadistic.....

Challenge accepted!
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Just thought of one more that fits the OP subscription to core + pushups. Renegade rows. And yes, renegade rows with push ups even! Now that is evil. It's core + arms + chest + back. Total upper body workout.

Example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVOMt_HBrA
  • LeggiGetsFit
    Options
    Just thought of one more that fits the OP subscription to core + pushups. Renegade rows. And yes, renegade rows with push ups even! Now that is evil. It's core + arms + chest + back. Total upper body workout.

Example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVOMt_HBrA

^ this!! Badass
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Give spiderman pushups a go. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJSCntC77U
  • LeggiGetsFit
    Options
    Give spiderman pushups a go. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJSCntC77U

Yikes! Looks very tough but I love a challenge!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    bumping so I can remember to try this! I can hold plank for about 30 seconds with decent form...beyond that, I'm mush. Must get stronger abs (and arms!)......
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    spiderman pushups and mountain climbers, then mix all of this with burpees (squat thrusts)...my set goes like this: from standing, squat, kick legs back to pushup position, do 5 pushups, do 5 mountain climbers, do 5 spiderman pushups, drop to elbows for a 30 second plank, back up to pushup position, bring legs in and stand back up, high jump as you do (bring knees to chest mid jump)...5 reps of this for 3 sets and I am winded, sweaty and aching in my core
  • LeggiGetsFit
    Options
    spiderman pushups and mountain climbers, then mix all of this with burpees (squat thrusts)...my set goes like this: from standing, squat, kick legs back to pushup position, do 5 pushups, do 5 mountain climbers, do 5 spiderman pushups, drop to elbows for a 30 second plank, back up to pushup position, bring legs in and stand back up, high jump as you do (bring knees to chest mid jump)...5 reps of this for 3 sets and I am winded, sweaty and aching in my core

Wow wow wow! Very impressive and a mst try although I don't believe I'll be able to do all that YET (key word).