Completely frustrated

Options
I have always been fairly petite and until last November a pack a day smoker. Since quitting, I have gained 20 lbs. Doesn't sound like much but I'm only 4ft 11. Ok, so in the last three months I have reved up my workouts. I run 3 miles x 3 days a week and do Zumba or Step twice a week but I'm still gaining. I have been doing Shakeology, logging my food intake, I don't know what else to do. Any ideas or advice?

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Firstly congrats on giving up the *kitten*! Perhaps you could open your diary so people can comment on what your eating / not eating?
    Have you tried weight training? Your small so you could end up a little powerhouse if you get into it! Not sure what Shakeology is - a shake meal replacement?
  • hymiesmom1
    hymiesmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I was a pack a day smoker until I got pregnant...so I quit smoking and began eating for two! ugh. I'm 5' 2" and have always been skinny so I know how heavy 20lbs can make us shorter people look! Anyway, I'm still not smoking but have 20 lbs remaining to lose! My baby is now 4 yrs old. :(

What is helping me is I'm incorporating weights into my program instead of just cardio. I've noticed I burn more calories with weights added in. AND I notice a difference in how my clothes fit. I'm also trying not to pay too much attention to weight but more so to inches.

Hang in there...you can do it. And congrats on quitting...I know how hard it is!
  • mechrissy67
    Options
    How do I open my diary?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Settings
    Diary Settings
    Diary Sharing - public (you can always close it after you have the answers you need)
  • oceansablue
    Options
    Congrats on givinge up the smokes!
    Another thing that might be happening is you're exercising so much that you're putting on muscle. If your stomach looks flabby but it's hard when you press on it, it means you've got a layer a muscle underneath the fat, and muscle weighs more that fat so that may explain the extra weight. If this is the case, I suggest cutting down on exercising a bit. Hope this helps
  • mechrissy67
    Options
    Thank you all. I have opened my diary and appreciate any feedback. I intend to begin incorporating weights into my workout routine and continue tracking my intake. It took me 9 months to gain it, so I guess I need to be patient.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You actually might do better with the TDEE method than with MFP's standard estimates, especially at 4'11".

Try running through this for a calorie estimate and see if it's much different from what MFP gave you. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I have opened my diary and appreciate any feedback. I intend to begin incorporating weights into my workout routine and continue tracking my intake. It took me 9 months to gain it, so I guess I need to be patient.

How are you calculating your exercise calories and how confident are you that it's accurate? Just asking because if it's too high, that might explain why you're stuck.