Is Your Calorie Goal Truly Accurate / Right For You?

So I've been at this for a month, and have changed my eating habits - eating a ton more fruits and vegetables, have really watched my calorie intake, etc. I exercise daily (walk between 45 min to an hour or I ride a stationary bike for at least 30 minutes). I don't drink soda anymore, I drink plenty of water, don't eat sweets, etc. I see a lot of diaries out there, with people who are similar to me in height and weight, and their calorie goal is much lower than mine. I'm wondering if I'm still consuming too many calories? I have been under my calorie goal everyday except for one, which I think is pretty good. However when I think about it, it still seems somewhat high. It says my goal is 2130. Is this too high? If so, what should I lower it too? Any help / advice / input is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Hmmmm
    if you are eating healthy and loosing weight then your calorie count is right for you
    most important you should not be hungry
    Calorie counting is such a individual thing

i see by your activity level that you are only doing cardio activity
    which is a good start
    but the more muscle you have the better your BMR (basal metabolic rate will be)
    so i would start adding in weights
    or maybe look at doing the insanity videos
    i have been looking at it
    and you certainly would add muscle

the website below is another place to go to count your calories and see if it matches what you are at now

calories are based on your weight and activity level and basal metabolic rate
    but all calories are not the same

too much sugar will still make you gain weight especially in the abdomen area

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

i hope this helps
  • K_Smith86
    K_Smith86 Posts: 123
    Awesome, thank you! Every other day that I go for my walk, I do add in weights - two 5lbs. The problem though is that I'm not losing weight - it is staying the same. I've been doing my best to watch the sugar intake, as well as everything else like calories and sodium especially. It's just been super frustrating. I just wanted to make sure that I was at least off to the right start, and not doing something wrong that's preventing me from losing weight.

Thank you :)
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    I actually increased mine because I felt as if I wasn't eating enough with all of the exercise I was doing and I also wasn't losing weight. Less than a week after I started eating more (healthy options, not just eating more of anything) I started to notice a weight loss, felt better, wasn't so tired. I'm still normally under the calorie goal, which is 1450 for me but before when it was 1200, I was struggling to not go over it and just felt like I wasn't giving my body enough nutrients.