Binge Eating Disorder (BED) Help!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• kskalniak
    Options
    I would say if you think you have a problem then find a therapist who deals with eating disorders. It is very real and if you truly want to get help then don't listen to people who say you don't have a problem but call or go to a place that deals with eating disorders. I think just going to a professional will help you to feel free....it is a stepping stone to bettering your life.
  • kellilyn85
    kellilyn85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cathy, first let me say kudos to you for recognizing that you need help and for putting yourself out there. Binge eating disorders are not a new phenomenon and have been studied at length. If you are uncomfortable about seeing your physician and worried that he/she will want to put you on medication my suggestion is this... do your research! There are many articles out there written about behavioral treatments for BEDs that are used in conjunction with therapy. Most of the treatments work on identifying antecedents that trigger the urge to eat and then on building appropriate alternative behaviors. I am a behavioral therapist by trade and work with people with a wide variety of impulse control disorders often. A therapist that specializes in cognitive behavioral therapy would be ideal since it sounds to me like you would be more comfortable attacking this problem from a pragmatic and logical perspective. I wish you the best of luck!!