HRM Hell! Help!

Options
I've spent hours going back and forth between Body Media, the FitBit, and an endless number of watches and gadgets. The Body Bugg isn't really in the running anymore, it just doesn't seem like a good fit. From my understanding the FitBit doesn't have a heart rate monitor so I'm iffy on that one. As far as the watches go, I'm open to them, but I don't want the weird chest thing? Basically I'd just like to know what works for you guys and such. The HRM is the most important function to me, but I'd also love it if it could count calories accurately. Please help me! Thanks!

Replies

• spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The accurate HRMs need you to wear a chest strap to get the full picture of your heart rate going up and down throughout the course of your exercise session.

I have a Polar FT60 and really find the strap quite comfortable actually!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and yes, it has the chest strap. To me, that's important as I believe (my own opinion here) that it gives me a more accurate reading. I love that it does what I feel is an accurate job counting my calories and I can monitor my heart rate to be sure I get it up to a good level for working out. No guess work.

I don't have experience with fitbit or others however.

~K
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    Timex IronMan works great, I have it now for over a year and its great
  • falcon367
    falcon367 Posts: 116
    Options
    You may not like the chest strap, but its the only truly accurate HRM out there. The wrist ones are iffy at best.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a mio motion, I got it specifically because it does NOT have a chest strap. I have been quite happy with it so far.
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want the weird chest strap thingy but i don't think there are many heart rate monitors without a chest strap that will do a continuos heart rate(I might be wrong here, but just in my research there aren't many). Most of the watches by themselves will only give the heart rate when you touch the sensors (which means having to do it during the workout). It's not very accurate. The chest strap will continously monitor your heart rate, so it's more accurate.

Hope that helps some.

I apologize for typos, etc. but I just got done with my workout and don't want to go fix them :)

edited to add: sorry for the repeat, others are faster than me :)
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    A clock, my fingers and the pulse in my neck.
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i have one of the heart rate monitors that doesnt have the chest strap and i hate it beyond belief. it's so hard to get a good reading on my heart rate. it can fluctuate between two back to back readings and sometimes it doesn't pick up my heart rate at all. i would really go with a chest strap. they are SO much better!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The accurate HRMs need you to wear a chest strap to get the full picture of your heart rate going up and down throughout the course of your exercise session.

I have a Polar FT60 and really find the strap quite comfortable actually!

Agreed! and I too have the Polar FT60 and you really forget your have the chest strap on over time... I put it on head to the gym and don't even give it a second thought. It is comfortable and doesn't cause any issues... Best of Luck!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I've gone through a few. If you want something basic, the Polars are good. However, I personally am a fan of the Garmin's. I have an old Forerunner 305. Most accurate thing I have and lets me program custom zones and workout types.
  • 16eiram
    16eiram Posts: 2
    Options
    If you are willing to get a chest strap - I love my Sunnto M4, it is the best thing to happen to my workouts. There are also various other Sunntos that are equally good and each specified for different people.
  • stennieh
    stennieh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my polar FT60. The chest strap doesn't bother me. You can buy a bra that the sensor attaches to, I use it once in awhile.
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 as well and I'll admit in the beginning, I was not thrilled with the idea of a chest strap. Now, it doesn't really bother me at all and I can hardly feel when I'm wearing it. You wear it right under your bust so it hits where your sports bra is anyways, so you really cant tell that its there. it can be hidden too if you are the type that can get away with just wearing a sports bra as a top.

Its also an added bonus that the HRMs with the chest straps are more accurate since they continuously monitor how hard you are working, as opposed to just the watch that estimates. Since you know that your reading is more accurate, and you can glance down at any second to see how hard you're working.

I think you should just try it!! Its really not that bad at all :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    LOL well all I have is the weird chest thing. Timex. It works for me. I don't have the resources to buy something more fun, especially when this works and the most important thing to me is knowing my HR and time spent. I used to have a polar brand for years but it broke and I hated having to send it away just to have the battery replaced, I got the timex a few years ago because I could replace the battery myself.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My daughter has the FT4 and my wife and I have the FT7. Chest strap is not even noticed when on. We love our Polar's and used them everyday. You will get a thousand pros and cons. I did my own research and made my decision based on users experience and health reviews.
  • spersephone
    spersephone Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm still wearing my chest strap even though I worked out three hours ago. I should take it off, but I find it really comfortable. I checked some reviews of that Mio Motion, and wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my bodymedia fit...not sure what the difference is from the bodybugg.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it, the chest strap I wear while swimming, and I don't even notice it is there. Really rather comfortable, and much more reliable than the Boflex one I have.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Timex IronMan works great, I have it now for over a year and its great

I second this, I love mine!

I'm curious though-why don't you want the chest strap? you really don't notice it at all.

You're right-the Fitbit won't tell you what you want to know (it's mainly for steps). Amazon usually has Polar HRMs on sale and sometimes Timex. I actually got mine at EMS for cheaper than I found it anywhere online, plus I got it right then and there :)
  • xxloveiswarr
    Options
    I guess I'm mostly hesitant because I don't really know how it works? I'm clueless about everything as far as these sorts of things and I find it intimidating, don't know how it would stay in place.