Goal weight for 5'9"????

Options
Hey all!

I'm curious as to what your goal weight is. I'm 5'9" and my goal is 145lbs. Is that a decent goal? Is it too low? Should I mention 32 y/o female? ha ha.

I'm in the process of Insanity, just started month 2 today and I'm going to do the Chalene Extreme workouts after that.

If you've made your goals, how did you achieve them? What kind of maintenance calories are you finding work best for you>?

Thanks for the help and input!!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, started out at 180(size 10 pants, and medium/large top).

Set my first goal to 150 pounds which I reached on July 9th of this year, after a year and half of working out and counting calories.

Now I'm trying to lose the final 10 and get to down 140 ultimately.

I lost weight by eating less(around 1500 calories or so a day) and lifting weights/doing cardio.. and I'm still doing that combo and still losing at a slower but steady pace.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and I hit my goal of 165lbs. Now I'm shooting for somewhere between here and 150lbs.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    No way of knowing if it's a realistic goal for YOU unless you know your frame size. Everyone's body frame is different, even at the same height. Are you small, medium or large framed? Knowing that can make a huge difference.

You can find out here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", have a medium/large frame (medium if I measure my wrists, large if I go by my elbows), about 148, and happy where I am. Ultimately, I want to get down to 20-21% body fat, so I mostly work on that now. I've been as low as 140, but that just looked weird on my frame. Good Luck!
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" with a very small frame, according to the previous link - wrists are 5.25". I'm aiming for 126lbs (9 stone)
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" (and a half!) with a frame right on the border between medium and large, according to the wrist test. I got down to my goal weight of 150 but still wasn't totally happy, so I've been focusing more recently on building muscle and lowering my body fat %. In the back of my mind I have 145 in mind as a new "ultimate" goal, but I'm not sure I can/should get there. My suggestion is pick a weight that is toward the middle of the options you are considering and reassess as you approach it.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is very unrealistic either! As long as your body is 'happy' still has energy, feels strong and good then go for your dreams!!!! :happy: :happy:

I am 5'8.5 and my body feels great at 145, but it feels rrrreeeaaaallly great at 135 so that's what I am aiming for. 150 currently, started at 161 which my body did not like AT ALL!!!! Good luck with your goal!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ellebish
    ellebish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I agree with @13inchestogo, I don't think it is unrealistic either but would set a goal weight and then reassess, if needed, when reached!!

I am also 5'8.5 and have set my goal at 150 as a starting point and will reassess when I reach that.

I have weighed as low as 97lbs, not healthy but was young and focused on skinny, and think I feel the best at around 145 - 150. After I got to a healthy weight, I never stepped on a scale and just based it on how I felt and how my clothes felt so now I trying to find a target weight is hard for me as I really have no idea what I would/should weigh being healthy and toned not "skinny fat".

Good Luck!!
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    im 5'8" ish maybe 9" and my goal weight is 125
    i have a medium/small frame
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My goal is about 150lbs. But I'm not trying for it right now. I'm happy where I am (158).
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and ~163lbs. 147lb for a female at our height is def not "too low".
  • Sarabeth1980
    Sarabeth1980 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm curious as to what your goal weight is. I'm 5'9" and my goal is 145lbs. Is that a decent goal? Is it too low? Should I mention 32 y/o female? ha ha.

I'm in the process of Insanity, just started month 2 today and I'm going to do the Chalene Extreme workouts after that.

If you've made your goals, how did you achieve them? What kind of maintenance calories are you finding work best for you>?

Thanks for the help and input!!

I am 32, 5'8 and my goal is 140, so I think it is perfect!
  • DangerSass
    DangerSass Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    5'9", 42, mom of 5, I am 147-150 depending on the day, time, whatever. I am going for a 20% body fat and hope to try my first bulk in the fall. I would be happy as heck to gain some muscle, could give a flying fart on what the scale reads more interested on how I look naked.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 1/2" my goal weight is 150 but 20-21% body fat...
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    145 is a great goal for someone who is 5'9!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and my ultimate goal is 145lbs. I'm currently 175 (was 152, doiiii)
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and right now bounce between 146-148. I took a bit of a down slide after I hit my goal - 155 - and ended up at 143 (which is way too thin for me), I'm attempting to get back up to about 150 and stay there.

So I think 145 is a great goal weight for 5'9.
  • Eb155
    Eb155 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm a right on the verge of small or medium frame. I looked it up and essentially I can go for 129-153. So I think I'll stick with my inital 145lbs goal and see how I feel when I get there.

Thanks for the input everyone!!!
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my goal weight is 148. I've got a medium frame based on the wrist test. But to be honest, I'd be thrilled to get down to 168 (the lowest I've been as an adult)...right now I'm 215.
  • kszabo
    kszabo Posts: 2
    Options
    No way of knowing if it's a realistic goal for YOU unless you know your frame size. Everyone's body frame is different, even at the same height. Are you small, medium or large framed? Knowing that can make a huge difference.

You can find out here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

100% Agree with you! I'm 5'9" with a large frame and a decent lean body mass of ~ 138-140lb... so for me to be in the 'fitness range', I really shouldn't go below 172lb (i.e. ~20% body fat) ..unless I became an athlete etc.

I think body fat % is more important than the "weight"... and values such as hip-waist ratio and waist measurement to be in the healthy rangeto reduce cardiac problems, diabetes, etc.