Torso fat is stubborn

Options
I've been following the MFP programme for almost a month now, and I have not lost a considerable amount of weight. Admittedly, there have been times where I have not been as strict as I should have been, but it usually works out to only be about 100 extra calories per day - and on a net calorie diet 550kcal below my BMR, I should still be losing weight. But I hardly am. And even when I have lost weight, the parts of me that are noticeably leaner are the parts which are already not particularly fatty - for example, my arms. My legs are also leaner and although they are quite large, a lot of that is due to muscle. Yet the huge amounts of fat which exist on my torso refuse to budge. Has anyone had any similar experiences and know how to sort it out?

Replies

• lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    I can't help too much, but the same thing happened to me. My waist had measured the same for months, while all my other measurements were gradually decreasing. I just continued with my eating & exercise plan (I use a trainer) About a week ago, I finaly noticed my waist was finally smaller. Doing exercises that work your core muscles will help out though.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Where and how you lose inches first is highly individualistic, and sadly often seems to be where you want it least.

I will say that at 10 pounds down, I saw virtually no change in measurements. At 17 pounds, suddenly several measurements dropped by 2 inches, but my hips stubbornly stayed where they were. Another 5 pounds and the hips started to budge. Some of my friends, completely different.

Good luck!
  • schwournes
    Options
    Ah so basically I probably have to lose a bit more weight for it to work.
    I originally thought I only needed to lose about 10lbs because I worked it out using things like body fat percentage, but it might have to be a bit more it looks like.
    Thanks for the encouragement though :)
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I've heard that upping your protein and doing strength training can help considerably :smile: