Eat More, Lose More

Options
The last week has been a little strange for me. We are "reorganizing" at work, so since Monday, I've had two new bosses, three new team members, lost two old team members and been moved to a new office. In all of the confusion and meet-and-greet lunches, I've been significantly over and under my calorie goal each day.

Looking back over the daily totals, I've noticed that I only lost weight the morning AFTER I had over eaten. Mornings after days where my calorie count was under my goal, I stayed the same or gain a 1/2 pound.

I'm not obsessing, I'm just observing. It has been a long time since I really paid attention to what I was doing and how my body responded. I am learning a lot about myself, and that is helpful when I think about long term change.

All of those posts insisting I consume all of my calories are clearly right. Neglecting proper nutrition isn't going to get me anywhere.

Replies

• Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree.

Ya know, for the first 3 weeks I weighed myself everyday and it went up and down and I observed just like you that even if I had a fantastic day the day before, I sometimes gained.

I have come to the conclusion that Sunday morning before breakfast is my weigh-in day. My sister does this too so we can keep each other on track. You can make yourself crazy if you weigh every single day because of the fluctuation.

The stress that is going on in your office right now cant be helping the situation, but hang in there and remember that stress makes you gain weight so breathe and do some yoga :) It's not as hard as you think if you get "The Biggest Loser Weightloss Yoga". I've never done yoga before and it is for beginners and I feel sooooooo relaxed after I do it (and my arms are getting nice shape to them). My job is stressful too and I try to do yoga every night that I work...or at least on the real stressful days.
  • jeffreyrashad
    Options
    i am noticing this as well. In the past i always thought the less you ate the more u'd lose.. boy was i wrong! i get to eat and im losing weight. what more can u ask for?
  • happylb
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out this weekend.
  • samseed101
    samseed101 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just made a post about this in another thread. All too frequently, people try to lose weight faster by doing more exercise while eating even less. I've seen people that end up with 500 or so net calories a day! It may work at first, but after a few weeks, the body will think that you are starving. As a result, it will turn catabolic and begin to burn off muscle while storing fat. After all, muscle is heavy and useless, while fat is energy which you need because you are starving. on top of that, your metabolism will slow down because, again, your body thinks you are starving.

In the end, you lose muscle (thus increasing your body fat percentage,) you will feel like crap, and your metabolism will slow down. Not a good combo.