I don't understand "eating your exercise calories." Help?

Options
Yesterday I had a fairly good workout day (for a beginner) - burned about 600+ calories and actually completely burned the calories from breakfast and lunch when I had worked out, leaving only dinner not worked off. Yet I step on the Wii Fit Body Test scale thing today and my weight doesn't budge (I hadn't eaten yet either...). It's to my understanding on a "diet" (lifestyle change if you will) that you're supposed to burn more than you eat...so why are most people here about eating their "exercise calories"? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of even working out? If you're working off calories and still making 1200 by the end of the day by eating them, what exactly does that accomplish?

Forgive me if I sound ignorant or unintelligent on the matter, but I really, genuinely want to understand why people do/say this kind of thing. I get "don't eat your exercise calories" from some people and "yes you have to eat the exercise calories" from another group of people.

So who is right, and why? Try to help a newbie understand...?

Replies

• Zyphun
    Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations your work out.

Now as to your question. I guess the first thing, is that everyone is different. What works for one person or even a great number of people, may or may not work for you. Top that off with a LOT of recurring myths and conflicting studies and it's a wonder we all aren't just standing around scratching out heads. But is a generally agreed upon statement that you want to keep your calories in a given range to lose weight. This means exercise or not, you want to meet that range. It is much easier meeting that range with proper calorie intake rather then burning it off. In fact, unless you are using tools (like a heart rate monitor) figuring out just how much you burn from exercise is a bit of a guessing game. So to more clearly answer your question, no you don't need to eat what you burn, unless you are concerned about going below your range.

As to why you didn't lose weight immediately after exercise is answered by the fact our weight fluctuates. It goes up and down by pounds all the time. And 600 calories is a great result for a work out, but it is also only roughly 17% of the calories you need to burn for a pound. If you notice any immediate drop in weight after exercise the it is most likely water weight lost from the exertion of exercise. Exercise isn't so much about the calories you burn immediately, but the over all and cumulative effect you get over time. Not only the fat burning effects, but also the increase in your metabolism, stimulation and boosting of your cardiovascular system and just the over all boon in your general well being.

I am unfortunately not a nutritionist or fitness buff. I am pretty new to this to and trying to figure it all out myself. The above is just a little of what I learned.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • camfam5
    camfam5 Posts: 15
    Options
    Your goal shouldn't be to burn off what you have eaten. That's absolutely not healthy at all. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function properly and if you go below that, you'll go into starvation mode. Women should not go below 1200 calories a day (though not all women should even go down that low). Those are NET calories though, not calories you have eaten. If you work out, then you need to increase the amount of calories you ingest so that your net calories do not go below 1200 or whatever your goal is.

According to your food diary, your daily calorie goal is 1310. You've only eaten 1227 calories today, which is still in the safe range, but you have also burned off 681 calories from exercise. That means that your net is only 546 calories. That is not NEAR enough to maintain proper organ function and your body is going to go into distress if you keep doing that. You're body is going to try to hang on to what weight it has because it's going into starvation mode.

If you don't work out one day, then you should eat 1310 calories. If you do work out one day, then make sure that your net calories equal to AT LEAST 1200 calories.
  • danettehinkler
    Options
    Yesterday I had a fairly good workout day (for a beginner) - burned about 600+ calories and actually completely burned the calories from breakfast and lunch when I had worked out, leaving only dinner not worked off. Yet I step on the Wii Fit Body Test scale thing today and my weight doesn't budge (I hadn't eaten yet either...). It's to my understanding on a "diet" (lifestyle change if you will) that you're supposed to burn more than you eat...so why are most people here about eating their "exercise calories"? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of even working out? If you're working off calories and still making 1200 by the end of the day by eating them, what exactly does that accomplish?

Forgive me if I sound ignorant or unintelligent on the matter, but I really, genuinely want to understand why people do/say this kind of thing. I get "don't eat your exercise calories" from some people and "yes you have to eat the exercise calories" from another group of people.

So who is right, and why? Try to help a newbie understand...?
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    Your goal shouldn't be to burn off what you have eaten. That's absolutely not healthy at all. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to function properly and if you go below that, you'll go into starvation mode. Women should not go below 1200 calories a day (though not all women should even go down that low). Those are NET calories though, not calories you have eaten. If you work out, then you need to increase the amount of calories you ingest so that your net calories do not go below 1200 or whatever your goal is.

According to your food diary, your daily calorie goal is 1310. You've only eaten 1227 calories today, which is still in the safe range, but you have also burned off 681 calories from exercise. That means that your net is only 546 calories. That is not NEAR enough to maintain proper organ function and your body is going to go into distress if you keep doing that. You're body is going to try to hang on to what weight it has because it's going into starvation mode.

If you don't work out one day, then you should eat 1310 calories. If you do work out one day, then make sure that your net calories equal to AT LEAST 1200 calories.

Ohhhh....NOW I get it. Thank you for explaining it to me. :)
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    First, working off 600 calories for a beginner or anybody is GREAT! Keep it up! Second since it sounds like your question was answered, I'll just say I DID THE SAME THING my first week and felt like I wanted to DIE! I lost 1/2 a pound my first week, so my trainer suggested this site. Bammmm, from the. On so far second week, first on here I had much better results. Second week down and although two pounds less than the first week, still lost a significant amount. PLUS I feel so much better. Not lethargic or like I can't handle my workouts. So good luck to you, and remember ask away. I have found that I learn so much reading everyone's questions and answers!