Balancing home, kids and school!

Options
Since starting my fall courses, I have been struggling to keep things balanced at home. I have two girls, 5 years and 8 months. This is my third college year and I'm finding it to be very difficult. Before I started classes, I was cleaning after everyone almost every 3 or 4 hours. I made sure everyone had breakfast, lunch, dinner, and everything in between. Bathing the girls and styling their hair takes about 2 to 3 hours because they both have a lot of hair. Not to mention play with mommy time. I have two college courses right now, then another one will start in October, they are all online this semester because I thought it would be easier. But once I open my laptop, my girls are right there, my 5 year old needs something like every 5 minutes or she wants to play her computer games, and my 8 month old wants to play with the keyboard or pull the screen back. Some people say do some school work while they nap, but while they're napping, I'm cleaning. I want things to stay the way they are but, it's really hard. I've had some great feedback from some of my MFP friends, and I would also like some suggestions from anyone else out there.

Replies

• Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Hello, what a schedule you have. I have found, if you really give the children some real good attention, you can wear (sp) them out, so they will go to sleep earlier at night or take longer naps. That extra time devote half to cleaning and the other half to YOU!!!.
    friend me if you would like, I'm an old woman (50) and might have a few tricks up my sleeve when it comes to children.
  • Msbooka1
    Msbooka1 Posts: 14
    Options
    It's funny because everytime I play with my kids in attempt to wear them out. I'm always the one tired...lol!!
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Haha, that will fix itself while on this journey.
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I hear you! It's not easy! I can't wait for my kids to go back to school next week just to get in a good workout at the gym :) Today I took my kids and dogs on a LONG fast walk with our dogs. They were tired and I got some exercise. Then I challenged my 9 year old daughter to a jump rope contest while my son timed us. That lasted a half hour with a few breaks. My daughter was really good and we burned calories. When my kids were little like yours, the jogging stroller and a kids bike with training wheels were my best friends for fitness. I'd take them and our dogs to our local parks with long paved paths. We all got our exercise in. Now I make sure I have weights, resistance bands, a yoga mat, and a jump rope in the house for those days when I know it's going to be impossible to get to the gym. I'll set up circuit training in the yard or driveway while they play outside. Desperate times call for desperate measures.... Hang in there!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    My three went back to school last week.. and i should be heading back to work next week.. i have three jobs + schedualed. which has me very worried about taking care of the kids.. i will be working days, nights and weekends.. :(

add me if you want.
  • sheribrasington
    Options
    I have a friend who was attending nursing school with three small children. It was so hard for her to. I don't know if it would fit into your schedule and baby sitter but she went by the library to study. Take your laptop and put ear plugs in and get it out of the way before you go home. You may can even walk around the block a few times before you go home and have more energy for them when you get there. Sometimes less is more if it is quality time. I admire you! Keep up the good work, It will pay off.
  • jaelliott907
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that :( Once upon a time I was working full time, going to school full time, and also taking care of my daughter (at the time she was 12mos, and my hubby was deployed). I also was doing my classes online. I got my LO a play laptop and when I had to get on mine, I would say, "OK, time to go to school" and i would give her her laptop. She would just push buttons and make animal sounds, but she really liked pretending to do what Mommy was doing. It usually lasted about 30min or so... enough to do a few discussion board questions or play a lecture.

I also tried to keep a really tight schedule (getting up at 6AM to make breakfast on the weekdays, and making make-ahead meals on Saturdays until midnight sometimes). It was hard, and it was a time when I gained a lot of weight--but you will get through it!

Feel free to add me :)