Hey there!

Options
About a month after joining and I'm FINALLY typing up an introduction. :smile:

From the very beginning I had never been thin, but I had never been really heavy either. With a mixture of family problems, depression, and medication I gained quite a bit of weight in my teen years. At my highest point I was about 170, and on my 4'11" frame let me tell you it wasn't a pretty sight. I moved out of home in the beginning of 2011 and decided that I was done feeling miserable. I dropped down from 170 to 115 (size 13 to 5)in about 6 months and have been maintaining pretty well ever since. Well, until recently. In the past couple months while starting my sophomore year in college, it seems that my scale has decided to start moving upward a little bit at a time up to about 123. I want to get control of it before I start letting myself slide up there again. I've noticed my scale moving downward already, but I would like to learn more about keeping myself on a healthy course.

I decided to start MFP after seeing different posts about it on different websites to see if maybe it could help me to maintain and stay on track of my goal of getting fit, and to perhaps give me a little motivation to mind my eating as to not gain a 'freshman fifteen' for lack of better term.
So, I guess it's nice to meet you all! (virtually, anyway.) :smile:

Replies

• PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    Nice to meet you too! :flowerforyou: it's hard to not gain weight in college. I did great until my last year, because of all of the board exams and clinical things i had to do, i stopped running and started hitting Starbucks a few (ok maybe 3 or 4) times a day. i easily put on 20 pounds that year......... but luckily I'm 6'0" tall and could hide it, in fact my clothes even still fit fine because at my height a 20-pound variance isn't too big of a deal. Anything beyond that though certainly is. ---Well as long as you are being aware of what you're eating and using MFP I'm sure you will be able to get a handle on things, just watch the "stress" eating around finals, sigh!!!! And welcome!
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard!
  • ashelt6
    ashelt6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey McKinzie!
  • 4SamNDan
    4SamNDan Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello and welcome please feel free to add me as a friend! Best of luck to you!!! Anthony
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You are so smart(!) to get it before it got you. What if we never let ourselves gain more than three pounds beyond our goal? It would make our lives easier, wouldn't it? I used to have a life coach that would say, "Would it be all right if your life got easier?" Duh! yes
  • Miliux30
    Options
    Welcome! You did goo MFP is a great tool.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I returned to school several years ago and developed some poor eating habits. Some days the only exercise I got was walking to class and then back to my car. How I wish I had done what you're doing now--taking steps to maintain good health.

Try to get some of your school friends to join you on MFP for support. You sound like a strong person, someone who knows what she's doing and where she's going. I'm glad you're reaching out for help. You'll get a lot of support and motivation on MFP and the tools for recording measurements and keeping track of your intake are all great. Best wishes for a happy and successful future!
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    best of luck on maintaining your goal weight. I for one know you can do it easily cuz you seem like you are part of the awesome, *kitten*-kicking bunch of people. Rock on!!! :)
  • heathermaxine
    Options
    Nice to meet you too! :flowerforyou: it's hard to not gain weight in college. I did great until my last year, because of all of the board exams and clinical things i had to do, i stopped running and started hitting Starbucks a few (ok maybe 3 or 4) times a day. i easily put on 20 pounds that year......... but luckily I'm 6'0" tall and could hide it, in fact my clothes even still fit fine because at my height a 20-pound variance isn't too big of a deal. Anything beyond that though certainly is. ---Well as long as you are being aware of what you're eating and using MFP I'm sure you will be able to get a handle on things, just watch the "stress" eating around finals, sigh!!!! And welcome!

Thank you! :smile: And finals haven't been too bad so far, believe it or not, but starting the semester sure kicks my stress eating into high gear! haha
  • heathermaxine
    Options
    You are so smart(!) to get it before it got you. What if we never let ourselves gain more than three pounds beyond our goal? It would make our lives easier, wouldn't it? I used to have a life coach that would say, "Would it be all right if your life got easier?" Duh! yes

Thank you so much! And oh yeah, I definitely agree the simpler, the better. haha :smile:
  • heathermaxine
    Options
    I returned to school several years ago and developed some poor eating habits. Some days the only exercise I got was walking to class and then back to my car. How I wish I had done what you're doing now--taking steps to maintain good health.

Try to get some of your school friends to join you on MFP for support. You sound like a strong person, someone who knows what she's doing and where she's going. I'm glad you're reaching out for help. You'll get a lot of support and motivation on MFP and the tools for recording measurements and keeping track of your intake are all great. Best wishes for a happy and successful future!

Thank you so much for you kind words. And it's better late than never, yes?:smile:
    Unfortunately most, if not all, of my friends and family aren't being as supportive as I would like at this point. I can tell that I've gained a bit of weight because of the scale and because of the bit of tightness I can feel in my clothes, but everyone I've talked to for support say that they don't see a difference in the way I look and that they don't particularly like the idea of me losing any weight (even if it's only getting back down to what I was before). I know it's only out of concern, but it sure doesn't help my self-disciple. haha
    Which is why I'm so glad that I'll be able to get some of the motivation and support I need on MFP. Again, thank you!