Gym Everyday

Options
Hi,

Does anyone else go to the Gym absolutely everyday? And i am talking like 2 hours atleast! You Prob need a few days off to rest and for your body to recover but I cant just not go, start to get withdrawals if i havent been! What are your thoughts, how much d oyou go!?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I only go 3 times a week lol.

Actually I don't go at all because my membership expired a couple weeks ago... but I'm getting a new one tomorrow I think.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband and I go everyday at least for an hour each time. I also meet with a trainer twice a week.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week max. Your body needs rest! Try doing something low impact like going for a walk or stretching on your off days if it makes you feel better!
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I try to go 5 times per week. Initially, I was working out for 2 hours at a time with cardio and strength training. I recently tore my ACL and am now doing some lifting and lots of swimming.

The ACL tear has been a blessing in disguise. My efforts to get healthy and lose weight included a lot of time at the gym, which in turn meant less time at home with my kids. Now, I swim for an hour and lift 2-3 times per week. I'm seeing a lot more of the kiddos!
  • Jschrolms
    Jschrolms Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah i know what you mean, at this stage though i dont have much else to do other than work, eat and train! What other sort of things are you guys doing on rest days??
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I go by what my body tells me and I have been going every day since I joined the gym 3 weeks ago. I really like it. If I felt I needed a rest, I would take it but my butt has been resting for over a year ;)
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Dude, chill out, don't go as often, get a grip. Go ride a bike, or hiking or surfing or something if you absolutely positvely must do some physical activity.
    I usually ride a bike, but last week it was so stinking hot, I was just doing cardio on machines, I couldn't stand going to the smelly *kitten* gym so many days in a row...thankfully the heat has broken for a few days.
  • Larence
    Larence Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds like way too much.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I frequently go 6-7 days a week, but at least one of them, I bring my kindle and go extremely light, going more for a mental break than actual exercise.
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I frequently go 6-7 days a week, but at least one of them, I bring my kindle and go extremely light, going more for a mental break than actual exercise.

good point. I think thats the reason many of us get hooked. Its are own little bubble where we can escape from the real world, destress, and fill our bodies with endorphins...
  • shynell
    shynell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Freetrainers.com instructed me to train for 5 days and to rest for two. I have been going 6 days and I feel I have to go. The only time I don't go to the gym is on the day that I worship.
  • Jschrolms
    Jschrolms Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Dude, chill out, don't go as often, get a grip. Go ride a bike, or hiking or surfing or something if you absolutely positvely must do some physical activity.
    I usually ride a bike, but last week it was so stinking hot, I was just doing cardio on machines, I couldn't stand going to the smelly *kitten* gym so many days in a row...thankfully the heat has broken for a few days.

Man, the gym i am going to is like an institution of fitness, not some smelly old gym. I happily spend a couple of hours in there training, gotta get those gains man! And i mean, good tunes, good people, there is always something to work on and i am always feeling good and jsut want to go smash it out. Yeahhh booiii
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I train everyday. 5 days at the gym lifting weights between 90 and 120 minutes. 2 'rest' days from weights split in the week; bike ride outside between 90 and 120 minutes.

As much as I don't like saying this, an off day does the body good. Muscles grow when you rest.

16j4jyx.jpg1.gif
    3538312 Posts: 1
    Options
    Somebody is fishing for compliments. CONGRATS ON WORKING SOOOO HARD! Psh.
  • TR56
    TR56 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Same here! I spend 2.5-3 hours everyday. My "rest" days consist of kettlebell circuits. But yeah, I hit up the pool, sauna, and hot tub everyday.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I go through a program once I finish it I take a week off then start a new one
  • hughes78
    Options
    I am in the gym every single day. It is true a lot of people need rest days but If you feed your body properly, sleep very well, stretch and change the types of training you do (i'm in the gym doing strength, yoga, spinning, steps, sports training, running, TRX, obstacle courses and many more) and most of the time I am training several times a day. I've gone 27 days straight before and still felt fantastic every day because I got 7-8 hours of sleep a night and fed my body accordingly. I am currently becoming a personal trainer.
  • GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly like you. During the summer, I go 6 days a week for 3-4 hours. During the school year, I go 4-5 times a week also for 3-4 hours. I'm seriously addicted to going to the gym too, and I also start getting withdrawals if I miss one day without going, lol.
  • willowdancer
    Options
    I have a workout room in my house that is my 'gym' I try to get in there every day for at least an hour; on my 'off' days I still walk a bit on the treadmill and practice yoga and hoop dance. I feel like just because it is an off day doesn't mean I should sit on my rear and do nothing for 24 hours. I will often also go outside and work in the garden or practice belly dance; do things that are not necessarily intense enough for me to consider a workout, but that are still active and fun! I found this works best for me, because if I get out of the habit of being active then it is really difficult for me to get back into it, but once I get the ball rolling, its easier to keep it going!

To put it in context, I lift heavy weights on an upper/lower body split 6 days a week, do cardio every day in some way or form, and try to stretch at least twice a day. Its what makes me feel good, and since I run my own business from home I have the time to do all of this. Not everyone is as dedicated or has such luxuries to enjoy, so what works for me may not work for you. Good luck!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I'm usually there 4-5 times a week. My goal is to never go more than 2 days in a row without doing some sort of workout that I can log, and that may or may not be actually going to the gym.