Hard Time with Self-Control

Options
HELP!!! I need to lose 35 pounds! I usually exercise 5 days a week and during the week, while at work, I am able to control my diet. The problem arises when I get home. As soon as I hit the door, it is as if I am posessed and all I can think about is food, food, and more food. I have a one track mind and it is completely filled by food. I really, truley want to lose the pounds and I keep coming up with the benefits of losing the weight, such as fitting into my designer jeans again. However, the munchie monster takes posession of my mind again and I am lost...it's back to eating as much food as I possibly can. I binge because I don't like the feeling of being hungry and it seems I am hungry all of the time. OK, enough of me whining. I know I need to practice self-control...but I am having problems finding the on-switch for my control in my brain. Any advice or inspiration??? Please help me!

Replies

• juragirl
    juragirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem exactly! I just can't be home. I go to the gym and stay as long as I can so I don't tempt myself.
  • lelupa1
    lelupa1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Take it from someone who has been there (and still struggles with this). You only do this at home? Are you eating at work? If you are not eating properly at work you are hitting the door starved and cant catch up.

If you are eating properly at work then it could be an ocd thing. Do you live alone? Is food filling the void? I do not know your situation but it is possible that food is being used to take your mind off something else? I have been through all of these scenarios. It is just a process of elimination to figure out what triggers this response.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I work from home and I get this. I now make sure I have healthy snacks only. I include dark chocolate as healthy. I buy the dove and keep in bottom draw of fridge. Hot air popcorn. Fruit. But when I am not working and have me time I am sure to have a plan to keep busy. Clean the house,mow the yard, wash the dog. Home is so important to me but I had the battle with the kitchen and hunger. So keep healthy snacks make them a part of your MFP as ok. But turn the kitchen light off after dinner and each meal and put all food in cabinet or fridge. When I visit the kitchen and have to take everything out to snack then clean and put away it slows you down. It is a challenge but we all have to love our home and not run away from them. Just you choose what is allowed to be in the pantry. Choose health because it really is your first wealth.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    A) only buy healthy munchies, what you don't have you cant eat, its hard at first shopping like this but its a lot easier than resisting those treats you know are in that cupboard.
    B) always have easily accessable snack food, pre cut veggies for the crunchie feeling. dark chocolate or some sweet berries for the sweet tooth, bagged nuts in the appropriate serving size for the salty etc.
    C) if there's something specific and unhealthy youve been craving, portion it out when you are NOT hungry, so that when you do have the urge its all ready for you and you won't be able to over eat if its already set aside properly.
    D) if you have to, work out longer/harder to burn those calories from munching, we all have days where we can't control, so instead of beating yourself up about it take yourself out for a stroll to have some fun, burn some cals and ease your mind

:)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. Remove all crap food from the house so when you do go on the attack the food there is only healthy chocies. I would also suggest chewing gum. The stronger the flavor the better. I found (not always) that I would spit the gum out to eat and would have to wait because the gum made the food taste like crap. Thats why I only buy the minty stuff from now on. lol If you want to lose the weight, you will stop making excuses and just not go to town when you get home. Its up to YOU and only you to make this happen. Good luck!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I read this article today with good reminders about finding other ways to cope besides food... Maybe it could help?

http://zenhabits.net/foodaholic/
  • OliveCarsey
    Options
    Drink some water. Dehydration can be mistaken for hunger. I get the urge to snack when i crawl into bed at night to read- I am trying to beat that by reading on the couch or sitting on some cushions on the bedroom floor, so far it is helping some. Good Luck, we have all been there.